How Can Soft Cakes Be Covered In Fondant?

Decorating By cakeastic Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 10:00pm by DianeLM

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 2

Well there are some recipes i have like red velvet and italian cream cake that are quite soft. I've never covered these types of cakes in fondant before since i always like to use firm cakes for fondant, but i couldnt find a firm yet moist cake for red velvet and italian cream. But i have this customer who wants a fondant covered red velvet cake as one of the tiers in their cake. Im afraid if i cover it in fondant, its going to be a big mess for me and get squashy under the fondant. I heard you could freeze your cake, but wouldnt it make it dry? I hope someone can help me as soon as possible. Thanks icon_smile.gif

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 2

If you let your filled cake settle overnight with a little weight on it, then freeze it for about 30-40 minutes before applying the fondant, it should be fine. This is how I do all my cakes, including the delicate ones.

By freezing it for only a short time, the only the outside gets firm, while the inside stays at room temp. So, there's very little condensation after the fondant is applied.

And, by slightly compressing the cake while it settles, it's less likely to collapse under the weight of the fondant. Using a thinner sheet of fondant is also helpful.

BTW, freezing a cake will only make it dry if you leave it in the freezer, uncovered for a week. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%