How Best To Freeze Cupcakes For Future Taste Testing?

Baking By CupcakeQT82 Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 7:24pm by denetteb

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:32am
post #1 of 6

So, I made a perfect batch of WASC cupcakes with Indydebi's white icing (divine!) I have a client coming Sunday for her wedding consultation and taste them, but I want to freeze the rest. Do I ice them and then freeze them or just freeze the baked cupcakes? And how do I wrap/store them in the freezer?? TIA!

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
I have frozen cakes before (mainly sponge cakes) I mainly freeze them undecorated because I once decorated a cake in icing and froze it, and when I took it out of the freezer the icing was running as it was thawing out! icon_mad.gif
I did freeze a cake with filling inside (jam & buttercream) and that was fine, when I defrosted it, it tasted like I had just filled it icon_smile.gif
For cupcakes though, probably freeze them just plain no decoration, and in clingfilm or a plastic food box, (make sure the box says it ok to put in the freezer though) hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 7:43am
post #3 of 6

I freeze mine unfrosted in an airtight container. Once they thaw, they still taste fresh. I do this all the time and never had an issue.

jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:06am
post #4 of 6

I have always been told freeze without decoration or icing but put it on after they have defrosted.

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks a million, ladies! I froze the rest of my batch in an airtight container, so I will await to see how they turn out once they thaw for my next taste testing.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 6

I have frozen cupcakes iced and uniced and they came out fine time and time again. It is handy to have the icing swirls on top already, put in a ziplock or storage container and keep in the freezer. Whenever I want a couple I just take out what I want and I am done, they defrost really quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%