Cake Decorating Newbie In Dire Need Of Help Please

Decorating By Catlaydee Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 3:44am by Marianna46

Catlaydee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catlaydee Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 9:26pm
post #1 of 4

I'm an old had at baking cakes, but not doing any real decorating. I'm supposed to be decorating a 12 in round layered cake with fondant for the first time and need some assistance. I was planning to use Fondx and then spray with Chefmaster edible spray, but now I read you shouldn't use airbrushing w Fondx so I can't use edible spray? Does anyone have any experience with this? The cake is supposed to look like a roll of duct tape icon_confused.gif

3 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:05pm
post #2 of 4

Why aren't you supposed to airbrush FondX? I need to know because I just bought an airbrush and I use FondX almost exclusively. I haven't used my airbrush yet, but I've used those Wilton Color Mist sprays, which I think is just airbrush color in aerosol, on my FondX-covered cakes many times. The results have always been great-looking. Are you not supposed to use the two together because of some chemical reaction? Is it a health hazard or is it supposed to end up not looking good? Please let me know, because now I'm worried.

Catlaydee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Catlaydee Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 4

I haven't seen anything listing it as a health hazard, nothing like that. Just all the info I've found on Fondx FAQ's says the airbrushing won't work. Maybe the color runs or something? I haven't tried it myself that's why I was asking too.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 3:44am
post #4 of 4

Ah, thank goodness! Well, I'll be finding out in a couple of weeks when I make my first airbrushed cakes. I'm glad I found your post. I'll be sure to do a test swatch first and switch over to something else if it ends up looking yucky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%