Heavy Cream Based Pastry Cream

Baking By AnnieCahill Updated 7 Aug 2011 , 9:53am by AnnieCahill

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a pastry cream with a heavy cream base? I need one for a cake filling. I was looking at trying RLB's pastry cream recipe.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Annie

12 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 13

Is there a particular reason it needs to be heavy cream based? The recipe I use calls for whole mik but I don't know of any reason why heavy cream couldn't be substitued.

Pastry Cream

1 cup whole milk
3 lg egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbs cornstarch
2 tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla extract

Heat milk to simmering over medium heat.

Whisk together egg yolks and sugar; add cornstarch and stir until smooth.

While constantly beating with whisk, gradually pour about 1/2 cup of milk into egg mixture. Pour egg mixture into remaining milk and cook, stirring constantly, until boiling and thickened, about 1 minute.

Remove saucepan from heat and stir in butter and flavoring. Transfer to shallow bowl (I prefer a glass pie pan) and lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate until completely cool.

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 12:36am
post #3 of 13

Hi Elcee,

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe with me. I wanted a heavy cream base to mimic a creme brulee texture. I was going for that super rich velvety texture. I'm experimenting for a wedding cake and was thinking about playing with different flavor combinations. I did a Google search for old posts on CC and someone recommended to use a pastry cream with a heavy cream base, but I couldn't find any recipes.

Thanks again so much for sharing your recipe. Do you find that this is stiff enough to use as a cake filling or do you have to do anything additional to make it thicker?

Thanks again,

Annie

Kjanelb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kjanelb Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:16am
post #4 of 13

I'm not sure what you are using the filling for but a quick cheat if you need it is to use one box of instant french vanilla, white chocolate or cheesecake pudding with 1 1/2 cups of heavy cream & 1/2 cup milk. I sift the powder into the milk/cream mixture and let the stand mixer whip it until creamy and thick.

You can thin it with additional milk or add in flavors and/or liqueurs like Amaretto

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:17am
post #5 of 13

You're welcome!

The texture is thicker than pudding but not quite custard-y. As long as I use a very thin layer of buttercream between it and the cake and use a good dam it's wonderful as a filling. When I'm doing the dam I go around the edge of the cake, then a small circle in the center and another ring halfway in between them just to be on the safe side.

I wonder if using more eggs would give you the richer, more custard-like texture you're look for?

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:20am
post #6 of 13

I will give it a whirl and we'll see how it goes!

Thanks again so much for sharing your recipe!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 13

Annie, do you have Trickling Spring Farms dairy products at farmers markets in Winchester? It is a dairy out of Chambersburg, PA that has many retail locations. Call them and see how close they are. I get the products off of 81 exit 12 at Orr's Farm Market. The products are so rich, I think you could use their products to get that richer flavor. I use all of their line. They have whole milk, buttermilk, and heavy cream. Just google them, but this will be what you are looking for.

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 13

Oh my gosh Susan, are you stalking me? icon_smile.gif

My husband and I just went into the Country Store near my house (he was looking for banana bread beer they sell there-don't ask) and I bought two pounds of organic unsalted butter from Trickling Springs! We also got a chocolate milk and 2% in glass bottles! They were out of the heavy cream but I am definitely checking back for that.

The milk is incredible. The 2% tastes so rich and creamy, I can't get over it. The store is only five minutes away from my house so it's definitely one of my main dairy suppliers from now on. So long Land O Lakes! I asked two sales people if this is stuff they keep in stock. They showed me their back room where all their recycling crates are, when people return the glass bottles to get re-filled. I get paranoid when I find a good thing because I am worried about it disappearing.

I am so excited!

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 13

you can just replace the milk for heavy cream or half and half, I do it all the time when I make Pastry Cream I just use what I have LOL. You can make an awsome coconut pastry cream by replacing the liquid with coconut milk. Lots of diffrent ways to make it. HTH

AnnieCahill Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 9:32pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks KM for the tips! I love coconut so I will have to give that one a try!

Annie

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:27am
post #11 of 13

Hey Annie, watch the butter. It is higher in fat and I have had some trouble with it. Is it the one that comes in a roll? I did just buy some to try in buttercream where the fat won't be a problem.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 3:50am
post #12 of 13

Here is the one I use. I love it and could eat this stuff straight from the bowl.

Stephanie

Pastry Cream Filling

* 3 Tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/8 cup sugar
1 cup half cream/half milk
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a saucepan and blend in a little of the cream. Place on medium heat and stir constantly. Add the rest of the cream and and continue stirring until the mixture reaches the consistency of medium cream sauce. Stir a little of the sauce into the egg yolks, then pour egg yolks into the sauce in pan. Cook for a few minutes on low heat until thickened. Remove from heat, add vanilla and cool quickly. Too prevent a skin from forming, brush with melted butter. Stir a little before using.

YIELD: 1 1/2 cups

Chocolate filling recipe

Make basic cream filling below and after removing from heat, add 2 ounces of melted, unsweetened chocolate to the mixture along with the vanilla. For Mocha Filling, reduce amount of milk/cream by 2 Tablespoons, substituting 2 Tablespoons of extra-strong fresh coffee.

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 9:53am
post #13 of 13

Susan,

I bought two one pound blocks to use for IMBC. I am making a cake for Monday and I thought I'd give it a try for the buttercream.

I did notice the 91% butterfat on the container. I was going to start researching that to see how it would affect my scratch recipes.

Smbegg, thanks so much for the recipe. I appreciate it!

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%