Illustration Programs?

Decorating By Shelley51708 Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 2:12pm by Marianna46

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 2

what do you use to "illustrate" or do a composite of prospective cake? I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, lol, so free hand drawing a sketch is out. What programs do you like or use for presenting a sketch for a visual to your client?

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 2

In another thread here, people suggested Google SketchUp8. I downloaded it, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. A friend of mine has another solution to this problem, which I'm thinking of using as well. She stacks styrofoam dummies WITHOUT any fondant or other covering on them. She then uses real ribbon and silk flowers to get the idea across, although when she makes the cake she uses fondant and gumpaste for these details. I was thinking of taking it a step further and using paper cutouts for swags and things like that. You could even wrap a strip of paper around the side of the dummy to draw designs on or find a pattern on the internet, print it out and stick it on with pins or whatever. This is a much more visual way of doing it and I think it's a great help for the drawing-impaired like me. The dummies can be actual size (which helps you client visualize how big the cake would be) or they can be miniatures, just keeping the proportions the same. How does this sound to you?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%