How Do I Make Fondant Look Like Carbon Fiber?

Decorating By asmaq Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 3:28pm by esangston

asmaq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmaq Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 4:52am
post #1 of 4

I am making a motorcycle cake and I want to make the bottom tier covered with fondant that looks like carbon fiber. Any ideas on how to make it look like carbon fiber?

Thanks!

3 replies
esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 5 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 4

The only thing I can think of is to use some kind of tool or mat to give black fondant a checkerboard look, then go back thru and maybe paint in the silver?

asmaq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asmaq Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 4

Yea I was thinking the same thing...I'll have to find some sort of matt that looks like that I guess. thanks!

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 4

I got to thinking about this some more and got 2 more ideas for ya.... Granted they are also pretty time consuming but maybe something might work better for you. Google carbon fiber patterns and you will see a lot of different varieties.

You could take 1 and make a stencil out of poster board and use thicker paint to brush over the stencil. I did this with my airbrush for my sons comic book cake and it worked out pretty well on bc so it should work better on fondant. Test out your stencil to make sure it doesn't run and use use the shiny side in the outside and the matte side on the inside. Depending on the size if the cake, make a couple of extra stencils for when the paint gets on the inside of the stencil.

Or there's a pattern that has circles in it. You could get or make a bunch if little silver pearls and push them into the fondant and then use the edible varnish on this site to seal it or just leave it as is. Let me know if any of these work. And good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%