Smbcream ??

Decorating By suzied Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 1:30pm by AnnieCahill

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:50am
post #1 of 5

I would like to make smbc for the first time and cover my cake in it. my question is, once it is covered do i have to refrigerate the cake, or do i just leave it on the table for a couple of days.

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:47am
post #2 of 5

You can leave it out as long as you are sure that you got the sugar up to the right temp. It will stay the consistency of butter. I personally leave it in the refrigerator and bring it to room temp to serve until I get to where only a few pieces are left. It takes my family way too long to eat a cake. I personally prefer IMBC because it is cooked at a much higher temp.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:04am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

You can leave it out as long as you are sure that you got the sugar up to the right temp. It will stay the consistency of butter. I personally leave it in the refrigerator and bring it to room temp to serve until I get to where only a few pieces are left. It takes my family way too long to eat a cake. I personally prefer IMBC because it is cooked at a much higher temp.

Thank you. for IMBC do you know whether i can make it using all butter instead of adding crisco? I am just making a butter cake and need to leave it out for 2 days. normally when i apply butter cream on the cake, its perfect (doesnt get spoilt) just thought of using another icing for a change.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:33am
post #4 of 5

Definitely use IMBC. You use all butter. And here is a tip that works wonders... get your sugar syrup up to 245. This will take into consideration the drop in temp as you transport and pour the sugar inthe whites. The sugar is so hot that it kills anything bad in the eggs. The buttercream will be the consistency of butter, but a little stiffer. It will hold its shape.

This is a tutorial by Warren Brown. This is the recipe I use. BUT, do not add the butter until the whites are at room temp. This could take as long as 10 minutes, depending on room temp or your mixer.

If you need any other info, pm me.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 5

That's the exact same recipe I use, and I also wait until the meringue comes down to room temperature. Then I dump a gallon of NM vanilla into it. icon_biggrin.gif

NOM NOM NOM!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%