Cricut Cake Machine

Decorating By evans000 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 10:08am by Davwattie

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, does anyone have a cricut cake machine and if so what are your views on it?

Ive been considering getting one but they are pricey, ive been looking at the mini one, they also do a large but this is over £300.

Any views or advice on this?

Thanks

10 replies
Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 11

Hi,

I have the large cricut cake that I got for a bargain price from overstock.com

They dont have the large one anymore but do have the mini for about £175 including delivery and duty/VAT.

If they had had the mini on when i got mine then i most likely would of had it instead of the large one as it would of been enough for my needs and easier to store.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 11

I ordered my Cricut Cake HSN and I love it. If you do a search in the forums for Cricut Cake threads, you'll be able to pull up all kinds of reviews on it icon_smile.gif

jessicakes63 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicakes63 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 11

This is probably a stupid question...but are the cake circuit and the regualr scrapbooking circuit different?

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:04pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicakes63

This is probably a stupid question...but are the cake circuit and the regualr scrapbooking circuit different?

They are pretty mucthe same except that the cricut cake is made with food safe materials and a skirt to keep food particals out of the cartridge etc. All cartridges are compatible with all machines. HTH

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 11

If you get one, be prepared to work with it ALOT before you actually figure it out. My boyfriend got me mine for Christmas when they were £450+ and I have only just figured out how to get perfect cuts. Granted I only do this as a hobby but it's a big learning curve, which gets disheartening when you have nothing usable for a cake.

Also, you might not be able to get the programs MTC or SCAL because of the lawsuits. If you can't get them it'll be another £40 or so for each cartridge you want.

I think, with hindsight, the silouhette (sp?) machine might have been a better option. It just depends on price because you have to order them from America.

evans000 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 7:28am
post #7 of 11

It looks really good but i dont know what is stopping me, maybe i feel i wont learnt the skills properly. Do you feel like your cheating using one? or is it just help. I suppose i always thought the skill of doing cakes was the detail and the quality.

Do any of you feel like its a bit of a cheat or is it a great help?

I dont mean to offend anyone as i'm still deciding wether to get one. Do you think i should learn to do the shapes myself before buying one, or is it because i'm new to cake decorating i feel this way.

My dad found the machine and we think its great, but thats the fun in cake decorating the learning and mistakes then acheiving knowing you cut that pattern or letters out by hand, but then again its speed if i am wanting to start a business from home. I'm laughing at myself i'm having an argument with myself here.

Thanks

Davwattie Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:12am
post #8 of 11

I was exactly the same, do I or dont I?

I'm glad I did(just wish I had more time to really play with it) cause when you get it right its brilliant at time saving.

I made a couple of small cakes as thank you's to 2 of my kids teachers and used it to do some simple things for them( a butterfly & 'thank you')

It definitly wont take the fun or experience out of decorating and you will probably still make some little mistakes because you can't do everything with the cricut like making 3d models or small piping.

Im planning on having a good practice with over the school holidays inbetween making cakes icon_lol.gif

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 8:46am
post #9 of 11

i got a mini on sale at joanns for $100 and i love it. i haven't had the chance to play with all the functions but i havn't had any issues or anything.

evans000 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 9:19am
post #10 of 11

I think i'm going to go for it, especially if it doesnt take the fun out of it.

One last question do you have to buy the sheets of fondant or gumpaste especially for that or can you cut out to size?

Helen

Davwattie Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 10:08am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by evans000

I think i'm going to go for it, especially if it doesnt take the fun out of it.

One last question do you have to buy the sheets of fondant or gumpaste especially for that or can you cut out to size?

Helen

You can buy the sheets but I just use normal fondant and roll it out really thin, put onto the mat and then put in the freezer for at least 10 mins to make it hard so its easier to cut

There is a thread on here somewhere full of hints/tips on how to get the best results

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%