How Do I Prevent Frosting From Becoming Runny

Baking By Boo21 Updated 3 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm by TexasSugar

Boo21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boo21 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 5

It's hot & humid in the south east of UK at the moment & my frosting is going all runny. I don't normally like to complain about the sunshine as we don't get much of it but it's a pain for my cakes. Also my cake pops dropped off their sticks one by one when I took them out of the fridge. Are they perhaps best made on the day of eating them? I'm a cake pop newbie.
Please help.
x

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 5

What recipe are you using for the icing?

sweetie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie78 Posted 2 Aug 2011 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 5

Is it possible that the cake is too dense or that your coating is too thick for the cake pops? Did you dip the stick in melted chocolate or candy melts (depending on what you use)?

Ditto, Texas. What type of buttercream are you using?

Boo21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boo21 Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

At the moment I'm using Betty Crocker frosting. It's a fave of mine & delicious.

For the cake pops I used Wilton Candy Melts. My cake may have been too dense. It was a choc cake & I used veg oil.

Thanks for your replies icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 5

BC frosting is already really soft, so it's probably the heat that is the problem there. You could add some powder sugar to thicken it up, but I'm not sure that would really help stabilize it in the long run.

I had issues with the cake balls sliding. I had the mixture a little too wet, they were at room temp and it was warm in the house when I was dipping. They started sliding before the candy melts hardened. The next time I made them, I kept the cake pops in the fridge and only pulled out a dozen or so to coat at a time. I then stuck them in the fridge to harden.

As long as they stayed cool once the candy melts set up, I didn't have any problems, minus having them sit outside for about an hour in our heat, and then they all slid down the stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%