Trick To The Corners Of A Hexagon Cake?

Decorating By Shelley51708 Updated 31 Jul 2011 , 3:51am by KodiSnip

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that wants a hexagon cake (I've only done one of these before, and it was more or less a practice cake), and the cake to be covered in a WHIPPED icing.....any pointers on how to make the edges sharp and pretty? TIA!

7 replies
katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 8

my question is very similar. Ive never covered a square cake in fondant before and i feel like there must be some good tips out there for the corners. I'm not so concerned with crisp, though..i'm concerned with smooth corners.

Shelley51708 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 8

I want to know that too, lol, but I'm not using fondant to cover this cake, I'm using whipped icing or BC

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 8

If you are going to use stabilized whipped cream like Pastry Pride, Bettercream or such, you might want to PM doramoreno62. To me she's the
Queen of using the stuff and is very good at getting sharp corners.

Also invest in a good metal scraper - Hope that helps!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 8

I find that it is actually easier to cover a hex than a square with fondant. It works pretty much the same as a round.

Shelley51708 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 8

I've not really used whipped icing before for the base covering of a cake, I have for personal use that I wasn't too concerned about it being smooth....can I get a smooth-able whipped icing?

Transformergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Transformergirl Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 8

We use whipped icing at the bakery all the time, but it's called 'Bettercream' for some reason. It tastes like cool whip and MELTS.

If the bride wants a cake with that kind of icing definitely warn her that if her venue is warm or it's outside, the potential for it to melt is high. With the heat we've been getting around here, I've been telling people to treat it like an ice cream cake.

As far as smoothing goes, you can get it pretty smooth with a steady hand and lots of patience but as for sharp corners, I'm not so sure. You make have to freeze it and sharpen the corners when it's semi-hard to get those really precise sharp points.

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 3:51am
post #8 of 8

Here is the link to doramoreno62's hexagon cake. The corners are crisp and this is a stabilized whipped cream product called Pastry Pride.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2105972

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%