Arkansas Razorback Hog 3D Cake

Decorating By DeeDelightful Updated 16 Mar 2016 , 3:53pm by jellybeanlane

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 9

A friend has requested a 3D Arkansas Razorback hog cake for her son's birthday. I really don't know how to get started making this cake. If anyone here on CC knows how to make it, please share. Thanks.

8 replies
TexasCakeGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasCakeGal Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 2:28am
post #2 of 9

Did you ever end up making this cake and if so could you give some advice? I'm being tasked with the same thing and don't know where to get started. 

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 2:45am
post #3 of 9

are you guys in Arkansas?

jellybeanlane Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 2:57am
post #4 of 9

I've done this cake before  it's like making any other cake that you have to cut into a design... I just used a rectangular pan then layered them and cut it to look like this figure and frosted and put fondant on it... not too hard just takes a lot of time hope this helps... Jellybean :0)

[postimage id="3089" thumb="900"]

TexasCakeGal Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 3:37am
post #5 of 9

Thanks! You made it seem much more manageable than what I pictured in my mind. Making the 3D sculpture is new to me. Would you recommend anything over 2 layers have a cake board/plate and columns for support? 

TexasCakeGal Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 3:38am
post #6 of 9

And no I'm in Texas but know someone who is going to Arkansas for school. 

jellybeanlane Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 3:56am
post #7 of 9

yes 1 support plate/board in the rear lol and dowels to keep it from moving around ... two layers that was used was the thicker cake pans like for weddings but if using just normal rec pans id use 3 to 4 and cut to size and use my scraps for the feet etc... make sure you put fondant around a dowel also and cut a small slit to stick them in or it will be very hard to do without it crushing your ear ....

the reason I asked was I'm in Arkansas so I was like yay someone on cc is here where I am lol

TexasCakeGal Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 4:13am
post #8 of 9

I only have one deep round pan so looks like I'll be using several regular pans. The customer is wanting d and white swirls/stripes on the inside. I've done a purple and white inside that came out nicely. I have a fear that the red will mix with the white and she'll slice into a pink cake (may be an unwarranted fear). Have you ever had issues with different batter colors mixing? 

jellybeanlane Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 9

Well this is just what I do I make the cake batter in white then I put it in the freezer for like 10 min to get it a little stuff not frozen then I take color not batter that's color and add the flavor I'm wanting and cool in down in the fridge for a few unless you keep your flavors in the fridge already... Then I take a syring like you use for putting brothe in meats  and fill it with the color and as I move through the batter insert it swirling it or however needed the batter doesn't run so bad then make sure to drop your pans on a bar etc to get excess bubbles out..... Let come back to room temp and bake... I've done this several times and it worked well for me but I did use deeper pans so just be careful not to over fill with color and don't go too deep ... Hope it works good for you too...***only use small amounts at a time as you swirl it just drop or two ....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%