Fbct

Decorating By MKinPA Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm by TexasSugar

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 9

Help! My frozen butter cream transfers that have been in the freezer for 10 hours did not freeze solid. My cake has to be delivered in 3 hours and I'm afraid to rely on hoping one will freeze solid by that time if I make another right now. Any suggestions on how to insure a good solid FBCT? I just made a batch of Sharon Gambito's crusting buttercream and will try with that and hope that works! Thank you!

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 9

What time of icing did you use originally?

What do you mean by not freezing solid? It isn't going to be rock hard really. If you mashed on it it will still have some give, though it shouldn't be soft like un frozen.

MKinPA Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 9

I used a buttercream icing but it wasn't a crusting buttercream. It was still very mushy to the touch and wouldn't come off of the wax paper in one piece. I made a couple more with Sharon's crusting buttercream and am hoping they look ok, I put them in the freezer about 30 minutes ago and can let them stay there for another hour. Do you have much success with FBCT?

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 9

The icing may be the problem then.

Oh I love the FBCT's. You can see some of the ones I have done in my photos.

I use an all crisco crusting buttercream, much like the Wilton recipe with me. I actually usually have them in the freezer for less than a hour. I love them because they are great for last minute cakes.

MKinPA Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 9

Texas Sugar, I think you are right about the icing being the problem. I'm going to check them in a few minutes to see if I can use them, if not I'll have to find a plan B! Thank you and I'm going to check yours out!

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 9

I am still fairly new but what about using Royal icing?

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 9

Doing a transfer using royal icing is a different thing.

I wouldn't use it in the FBCT application, because royal will start to dry before you get it in the freezer, plus if you get any condensation on it when it comes out of the freezer that will cause issues for the royal, it doesn't like moisture like that.

FBCT stands for Frozen Butter Cream Transfer, so the buttercream is part of the process.

If you want to use royal icing to make a transfer you would outline the picture you want to use, then thin down the royal and flood that into the spaces. These take 48-72 hours to dry depending on the size, so they should be done in advance.

Also the top of the royal icing transfer is the top of it. With the FBCT, the bottom becomes the top.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Color-Flow

The above is a step by step that you can follow using royal icing.

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for responding!!! Like I said I am still new and learning. I have learned so much from these forums and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 9

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif

There is also a chocolate transfer, it is done much like the FBCT one, only it uses chocolate. But the steps are a lot alike. You build the picture from the bottom up, so when you go to use it, what was the bottom of what you are working on is now the top.

http://lovesweetlove.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/white-chocolate-transfer-tutorial/

http://morganscakes.blogspot.com/2010/05/chocolate-transfer-method-tutorial.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%