Will This Pvc Structure Hold?

Decorating By QueenOfSweets Updated 4 Aug 2011 , 3:10am by kidcrazed

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 4

I've built PVC structures for 3D cakes and RKT figures in the past with no problem. I now need to build a RKT figure that holds an 8" square cake. Below is the PVC structure that I've sketched out. The PVC armature will be 15.75" tall, and the figure itself will be 18" tall from top of the head to foot. The upheld arm will have a flange at the top that is attached to an 8" square masonite board. That board will then hold the 8" square cake.

My question is: will the 8" square cake be too much weight for the arm and/or PVC structure to support? I don't want it to bend and lean over. I've thought about building the structure out of steel pipe instead (the figure will not be eaten, so food-safe materials are not required), but it's so much harder to cut than PVC.

What do all of you think? I'd appreciate any insight or advice!

Image[/url]

3 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 4

If the 8" square is real cake, I'd go with metal pipe rather than PVC. If it is a dummy, then you will probably be okay with PVC. But, I'm an amateur prone to over-kill icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 4

Go with metal pipe. I tried to do something similiar with the Raggedy Ann cake I made and the pvc structure was not strong enough so her arms had to be down. I think from now on when I do 3d cakes I am going with metal instead of pvc. HTH

kidcrazed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidcrazed Posted 4 Aug 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 4

I'd use metal pipe and make him stand on the other leg so the raised one stick out the other way to help with balance

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%