Piping Grass

Decorating By SteveJ Updated 29 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm by tiptop57

SteveJ Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 6

I've just bought a Wilton #233 nozzle for piping grass and hair etc. shall i use royal icing or buttercream? i've always piped with royal icing before but everyone seems to use buttercream with this grass effect tip; is there something i'm missing?!

5 replies
leah_s Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 6

Nope. Use either one. Whatever works best for you.

luddroth Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 6

Doesn't it just depend on what you want to end up with? If you want something people can cut into and eat that tastes like icing, go with buttercream. If it's ok for it to be hard, then royal. I think both will pipe the same, but the royal may give you sharper edges.

SteveJ Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! if i've got any buttercream left over then i'll colour and use that. if not i'll make up a bit of royal icing icon_smile.gif

CupcakeQT82 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 6

The one time I used the tip to make grass I used buttercream. You can see it on my jungle cake. It turned out great. It crusted a little so it held up well but you could still eat it without it being firm like royal icing.

tiptop57 Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 6

There is no hard rule for the grass tip. If you are doing permanent display I would use RI if you are eating it then BC, but if you are doing cookies then RI. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%