What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By melonball Updated 30 Jul 2011 , 8:45am by LisaPeps

melonball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melonball Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 12

I keep trying to make flowers, with little success!

Either the fondant is too thick and if I try and frill using tools you can still see the edge of the fondant where it was too thick.

Then today I tried to roll it out using crisco (trex) and got it really thin but my rose still looks rubbish!

I am using supermarket fondant, and generally pme cutters. I haven't used gum paste yet, could that be it? Or is it a practice makes perfect thing?

Thanks

11 replies
krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 12

Someone actually just posted a really good tutorial on roses - titled This tutorial blew my mind, or something along those lines.

Most of what i've seen people do when making flowers is tear off a small chunk of the fondant and roll it into a ball. Then put plastic wrap over it and use your fingers to 'roll' it out (press down on the ball and flatten).

If it's too thick, just keep rolling it out. You will get it eventually, look up tutorials and see what they do.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by melonball

I haven't used gum paste yet, could that be it?

That's your problem right there. Use gumpaste, make the rose bases on wire and let them dry overnight first, and you should have better luck.

Fondant only makes good flowers if they're the kind that can dry in formers. It doesn't have enough body to make roses, where you want the petals to stand out from each other to give the flower definition and shape.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 12

I agree, I would either use all gumpaste or mostly gumpaste mixed in with fondant.

Fondant is usually harder to get rolled out thinly.

Another thing, when you are softening the edges of your petals, make sure your ball tools is just barely on the petal, but mostly on the pad. I usually think half on, half off. If you are on the full petal, then you will end up thinning the inside of the petal and leaving a thick ridge around the edge.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 12

this is a great tutorial. hth there are 2 if them

krumbledkakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:46am
post #6 of 12

Ok, I made a couple fondant roses. I have never made roses before, with fondant, gumpaste, or icing. I pulled out about a palm full of fondant and then tore those into 10 balls. I used the 'plastic wrap' method where I squished the balls in between it, and worked it into a petal like shape. For the smaller rose, I just pinched off all the excess fondant off the bottom of the large flower and followed the same steps:

Again, my first time ever making them but it was super easy. Just have to remember that every single flower is different, they all have flaws and are all just as beautiful! HTH

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #7 of 12

I think their very pretty... Maybe if u soften the outside of the petals with your ball tool it would look more danity {spelling}

krumbledkakes Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 3:59am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelleyes

I think their very pretty... Maybe if u soften the outside of the petals with your ball tool it would look more danity {spelling}

Ty icon_smile.gif
I was actually just trying it out for the OP to see how it was to work with them using fondant and see if I could lend any tips. For my next ones (which I do need for a cake I'm making with butterflies) I'm gonna have to pull out my sponge and tools. I'm scared lol!

melonball Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 7:38am
post #9 of 12

Thanks for all the tips I'm going to have a go with some gumpaste this weekend and try all your tips!

Thank you
x

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 8:43am
post #10 of 12

Melonball, I assume you are from the UK. In the UK we use flowerpaste to do flowers, It is similar to gumpaste. Or you can buy Wilton gumpaste mix from Hobbycraft or make your own from scratch.

My best advice would be to use that paste and watch Tonedna's video on you tube, that's how I learnt.

melonball Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 8:47am
post #11 of 12

Yeah I am in the uk and I brought the Wilton mix a few days and just mixed it!!

Do you have a like for the YouTube?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 8:45am
post #12 of 12

http://www.google.co.uk/m/search?oe=UTF-8&client=safari&q=tonedna+Rose+YouTube&hl=en-gb&tbs=vid:1&tbm=vid&ei=UcQzTpj3KYOE8wPSwacE&ved=0CCkQ7QkwBQ

It's called gumpaste Rose part 1, I think there's 6 videos in total. I can't link you directly as I'm on my phone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%