Need Some Tips And Helps On Making A Medallion

Decorating By Alexix Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 7:06pm by Alexix

Alexix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexix Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake for FIL who will be receiving his 6 year medallion for NA. MIL asked me to make him a cake. I was thinking of making some steps leading upward and at the top of the stares putting a medallion that looks like the one he'll get. On the side of the cake, Im going to write something like "one step at a time, one day at a time" Im guessing the medallion will have to be out of fondant/gumpaste and it will be standing (3d)

I need some tips on how to make it, please. How many days ahead should I make it? My worry is that it'll be too big for the top of the stairs and that it'll flop over. Any other tips on how to make it look nice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 3

I made a NA cake and printed out a LOT of the medallion pictures I found on Google on rice paper [ from 1 year to how ever many I could find as it was a general celebration ] and mounted them onto gumpaste with a tiny bit of gum glue. That way I could make them in various sizes on the printer, mount and place them on the 2 tier cake randomly. Turned out great, and heard they all took one of the gumpaste pieces home for a keepsake!

Alexix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexix Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 3

That sounds really cool and you just gave me another idea. I'm going to have to get started today, lol. My MIL wants a half sheet cake. thats why I'm going to add a staircase on the top cause she doesnt want me to do tiers or a crazy shape (her words). I think she'll like what I did when I'm done, the wheels in my head are spinning now. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I made a NA cake and printed out a LOT of the medallion pictures I found on Google on rice paper [ from 1 year to how ever many I could find as it was a general celebration ] and mounted them onto gumpaste with a tiny bit of gum glue. That way I could make them in various sizes on the printer, mount and place them on the 2 tier cake randomly. Turned out great, and heard they all took one of the gumpaste pieces home for a keepsake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%