Food Dye Allergy--Alternatives?

Baking By Zamode Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 3:31am by Zamode

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:54am
post #1 of 10

My daughter's friend has developed a food dye allergy and her mother would like to make her birthday cakes at home, is there a decorating/professional alternative method for dyes and gel colors? TIA!

9 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:15am
post #2 of 10
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:26am
post #3 of 10

Beet juice, or the natural color from added from fruits and berries.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:33am
post #4 of 10

Amoretti (http://www,amoretti.com) has some natural flavors and colors that are somewhat stronger than the India tree ones. They are a little expensive and have only just started selling these in small amounts, because they are totally dedicated to professionals, but they are generous with samples and have absolutely no minimum purchase required.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:39am
post #5 of 10

Natural Candy Store.com, they have a thing of natural food dyes. I got them for my son who has basically an allergy to dyes. You won't get a real good red out of them, but they work well. Pricier than normal food colors, but that's to be expected across the board for the natural stuff.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 4:40am
post #6 of 10

Oh, and they also have the BEST candy canes at Christmas time! Seriously! So good, you'd never look back at the cheap ones again. Worth it so my son can have candy canes like everyone else.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 5:02am
post #7 of 10

We've tried the India Tree natural food coloring for customers with food dye allergies...they are much more expensive and don't work nearly as well as the food dyes. For these customers we now offer only "black and white" designs with chocolate and vanilla buttercream.

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, agree with the amoretti info. Chef master also makes natural dyes but the bases are full of "stuff" and they do not seem to work well or taste very good.
You can get all natural, naturally colored modeling chocolate, colors and powders (more coming) at chocolate craft colors.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 10

Check out your local health food/organic store. Ours stocks natural food colors. Not sure the brand. I want to try it for red velvet. I just hate pouring a whole 2oz bottle of chemical dye into it so I usually cut it in half.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 3:31am
post #10 of 10

All great ideas, names taken and notes! Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%