What Size Tip For This Cupcake Look Please?

Baking By Swede-cakes Updated 26 Jul 2011 , 3:55am by imagenthatnj

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #1 of 11

A client sent this photo to me, and I'm trying to figure out which tip would create this swirl. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help!

..Darn it! The photo won't attach and there's not a error message or anything to tell me why the heck not..

...ok, I can't spend all night playing with the photo attachment issue. The photo of the cupcakes with green and yellow icing is now in my gallery so you can see what I'm talking about. I will remove it from my gallery once someone is able to answer my question.

Thanks for taking the time to look and tell me what tip you think is used. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:49am
post #2 of 11

I am only going to be half helpful. I believe this is a technique, not a tip. You load up a small spatula, blob it on the cupcake, work it up and down to spread the icing into the circle. You then take the spatula and work it around the cupcake top to make the "grooves". I will try to find the video for you.

CarolinaCakeMom Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:56am
post #3 of 11

Okay, try this video link. PM me if it doesn't work.

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 2:59am
post #4 of 11

Totally guessing but could part be scraped away with a popsicle stick with a swirling movement or something? Or maybe a curved petal tip? Hope you figure it out, it very pretty.

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:05am
post #5 of 11

Thanks guys for your quick responses!!! CarolinaCakeMom, I think you've found it! Now that I look again at the photo I posted, it's possible that they used a smaller blade for those than the large blade shown in the video.
Either way, I've got to play around with this technique. I have a client who wants more than just a "party swirl" on her wedding cupcakes and sent me this pic among others.

Thank you so much!!!!!

CarolinaCakeMom Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:19am
post #6 of 11

I think you are right about the size spatula. They make it look so easy in the video. I would have to practice this for a long time to get it right. Good luck!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:40am
post #8 of 11

Thank you, imagenthatnj, for posting the link to the other thread. thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:45am
post #9 of 11

You're welcome. Hope you have enough time to practice and not too many to make! Hopefully it will go smooth for you. I sometimes wonder about the consistency of the icing. I know Magnolia's Bakery frost their cupcakes like that. And I also know their icing is thick.

Swede-cakes Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:48am
post #10 of 11

Well, I'll have 150 cupcakes for this wedding. She sent me three pics; this one, a pic of a rose cupcake, and another with a 2D swirl and gold fondant pearls. We'll see what she ends up choosing!

I really appreciate all the quick responses. Thanks to everyone for brainstorming. thumbs_up.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:55am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%