Homemade Marshmallow Fluff In Cake--Questions

Decorating By ronronneuse Updated 27 Jul 2011 , 4:25pm by ronronneuse

ronronneuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronronneuse Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 5

I'm planning on putting homemade marshmallow fluff between some layers of cake. It's made with raw egg whites, but I think if I use pasteurized whites and keep it in the fridge until serving, it should be fine, right? More importantly, has anyone every frozen marshmallow fluff? Will the freeze and thaw change the texture/consistency at all?
Thanks!

4 replies
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:23am
post #2 of 5

I made marshmallow fluff as a frosting on hi hat cupcakes. I made it with meringue powder. Because the frosted cupcake has to sit in the freezer for a half hour before dipping them into the ganache, I learned that the marshmallow handles it just fine. Now I know that's not exactly what you plan for your cake but I hope it helps somewhat. Please let us know how your cake turns out.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 3:41am
post #3 of 5

YUM southerncross! What recipe did you use for the marshmallow? I'm hungry!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 26 Jul 2011 , 6:11am
post #4 of 5

You need to use pasteurized eggs still in the shell. Whites can still make some people sick. The FDA has this info. Please research before you serve this.

ronronneuse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronronneuse Posted 27 Jul 2011 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I made marshmallow fluff as a frosting on hi hat cupcakes. I made it with meringue powder. Because the frosted cupcake has to sit in the freezer for a half hour before dipping them into the ganache, I learned that the marshmallow handles it just fine. Now I know that's not exactly what you plan for your cake but I hope it helps somewhat. Please let us know how your cake turns out.

Southerncross, can you share the recipe you used for making the fluff with meringue powder? That seems like the safest bet. Well, I guess I could always go buy a jar of marshmallow fluff...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%