Crusting Buttercream

Baking By ANGELAKAY264 Updated 25 Jul 2011 , 7:18pm by joycesdaughter111

ANGELAKAY264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANGELAKAY264 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 5

I am looking for a simple, great tasting, crusting buttercream recipe. Any recommendations? Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 5

I REALLY like Sugarshacks butter cream. It is so easy to work with. It crusts nicely AND it stays "workable" longer than others I have tried. However, I can not get the hi-ratio shortening locally. I have to order my supplies in the fall and spring when it isn't so hot! Depending on your location, you may be able to find it.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 5

Edna De La Cruz has a great buttercream recipe but she also uses high ratio shortening. Her website is http://designmeacake.com (Mod edited to provide working link).

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 5

I use SugarShack recipe also. I order my high ratio shortening from my local GFS. They get it in the next day, I don't pay shipping and I can order it all year (not just when it isn't hot out).

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 5

I just discovered the most AWESOME crusting buttercream here on CC from a recent post just like this. I tried it and loved it. It's in the recipe section and called Extra Special Buttercream. It worked great in 90 degree Wisconsin weather, needs no refrigeration and tastes great.

I normally do not like ANY buttercreams with shortening in them, but this one it fantastic! Add 1/2 c. of Hershey's coco for chocolate. Wow. Colors nicely, too.

You control how much you want it to crust by how much meringue powder you add. Use a full tablespoon for a good crust.

This is now my new "summer/hot weather" buttercream. Thanks to all CCer's who reccommended this one!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%