Which Way To Go Under Fondant....

Baking By lolobell Updated 24 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm by Harrisburgcupcakes

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 4

Hello all!!!

i am going to make 300 cupcakes this week (HAHA) and they are going to be fondant covered. which icing would you recommend to go under the fondant...

a crusting butter cream or
a whipped butter cream

THANKS

MAR

3 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 4

It really doesn't matter which you use under the fondant. The moisture of the cupcake and the fondant on top will keep the buttercream from crusting.

I use an apple corer and remove a section from the center of the cupcake, then fill it with buttercream, leave the buttercream a little higher than the top of the cupcake, and give it one quick smooth with a spatula before putting the fondant on, so that there's not buttercream over the entire top of the cupcake (oozes out the sides then), but there's still enough for people to feel like their cupcake has frosting.

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 23 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you Texas Rose!

I usually fill them as well...but with 300 to do and only 2 days to complete them...i have to eliminate the step of filling them....

thanks for the tip!

Harrisburgcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harrisburgcupcakes Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 4

I core and fill them then put a little bit of icing on the top so the fondant sticks well. I have a cupcake corer gadget I got from Williams Sonoma that works really well and there is a plunger type thing that pushes the cake out so its quick and easy. I havent had anyone say they havent had enough icing using this process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%