Pricing Of Cakes, Cupcakes, Cookies, Etc

Business By mrslivvix Updated 22 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm by jenscreativity

mrslivvix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrslivvix Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 4

I'm just wanting an idea of how much you home bakers are charging for your cakes, cupcakes, cookies, etc.?? I am not a business and just work out of my kitchen at home but I am fairly busy each week making cakes for people. Between 2-4 cakes per weekend normally. All sorts of shapes, sizes, etc. I mainly do just choc or white cakes because that is what they request for kids birthdays or half and half sheet cakes. I live in a small town, it's pretty poor overall and don't feel I can charge what my cakes are "worth" to me. I know I don't charge at all what they do in a bakery but I also don't have the overhead to contend with. I wanted to stay equal to around what Walmart would charge for the same size and shape. I've never made cookies before for a baby shower but have an order coming up next weekend.
Here are a few of my prices:
9x13- $21
half sheet- $36
layered 6in on 8in- $46
cupcakes- $1.50 pc.
cookies (sugar with just icing no design)- 35 cent each
cookies (sugar with design)- 50 cent each

Is this about normal for most home bakers? I try to always put a lot of detail in each cake and feel they are worth for them but Idk? Thanks for any input into this!!

3 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 4

Those prices probably barely cover your ingredient costs. For each of the products listed, what are the costs of the ingredients used, and how much time does it take to bake and decorate each one?

Also, which state are you in? Some states require a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen in order to legally sell cakes made from home.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslivvix

I am not a business and just work out of my kitchen at home but I am fairly busy each week making cakes for people. Between 2-4 cakes per weekend normally.

Even from home, doing that many cakes a weekend, especially if it is every weekend does say business to me. If you are selling your product you need to make it worth your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslivvix

I know I don't charge at all what they do in a bakery but I also don't have the overhead to contend with. I wanted to stay equal to around what Walmart would charge for the same size and shape.

You probably do have less over head than a store front bakery has, and you probably do have more overhead that Walmart does. Either way you do have overhead.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-694973-pricing.html

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 22 Jul 2011 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 4

It depends on where you are located and what ppl pay in town. Honestly..your prices are tooo low..Your cupcakes should be min. $2 each at least, for the plain ones and then higher for decorated ones. You should be charging around $3.50-$4 for buttercream iced only cakes, and at least $4.50-$5.00 for fondanted cakes. Remember, it's CUSTOM made,,so that makes a HUGE difference in your cakes vs grocers. You really need to figure out your ingredient costs to make each one, then your labor costs hourly, then your profits after that...Research on topics under businesses on CC and see what all others do...but definetly, as a newbie, don't be afraid to step up your prices..PPL nowadays pay for convenience more of and will pay $4-5 PER cup of joe at Starbucks..Best of luck..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%