Completely Covered Rose Cake?

Decorating By cristi1015 Updated 1 Aug 2011 , 7:08pm by lutie

cristi1015 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cristi1015 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 17

I would like to try a completely covered rose cake with bc. are all or the roses made on a flowers nail then places on or are they made directly on the cake?

16 replies
theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 17

Is that what you have in mind? If so, this one was simply done with a 1M tip. There's a tutorial on the blog site.

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 17

I do my roses on the stick method, similar to the flower nail but with out having to make a base. I place them on waxed paper and stick in the freezer to harden then I can place them and rearrange them if needed. check out my pics I recently did a cake with half of it covered in roses.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 17

If the rose petals are piped individually for medium-size roses, they were probably made on a rose nail.

If the roses are giant "cupcake" swirls, they were made directly on the cake.

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 17

I have done one of these on a large cupcake cake, I did them directly on the cake with a star tip.

nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 17

If you go to her blog site she shows you how to do it. It's I am Baker.com

That;s where i learned how to do it.

soapy_hopie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soapy_hopie Posted 24 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 17

I did one a couple of week ago and I just piped the roses into the cake, but some of them fell off while I was piping the flower beside it, so it is a little bit frustrating, having to make and remake the flowers again and again, but in the end it was great practice and it turned out in the end

cakefusion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefusion Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:44pm
post #8 of 17

Can anyone please post the link to the tutorial for the rose cake? I can't find it. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 17
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 17

If you mean the one in the picture that "theCword" posted, it is here:

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2011/02/rose-cake-tutorial.html

( I am mommy and I am baker are the same person, Amanda)

soapy_hopie Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:10pm
post #11 of 17

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2011/02/rose-cake-tutorial.html

I think this is the one you want. (sorry but you will have to copy and pate the link as it will not trun into a link)

soapy_hopie Posted 25 Jul 2011 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 17

Now it tuned into a link so I feel silly

cakefusion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefusion Posted 28 Jul 2011 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks Shanter and Soapy! That's the one thumbs_up.gif

Michelep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelep Posted 29 Jul 2011 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 17

I made the rose cake last night. It was my first decorated cake. It was so much fun! Thanks CC friends!

arianka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arianka Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 17

tutorial here
http://www.lovelytutorials.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147

author-Marcy72-thanks a loticon_smile.gif

arianka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arianka Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 17
lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 1 Aug 2011 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 17

I have made this cake six times in the last two months...it is lovely, but there are some tricks to making it...first of all, make sure you have put a solid, not just a thin coating of a base coat. When I normally crumb coat, it is usually thin, but this needs a thicker base to hold the roses on...

Secondly, immediately put it back in the refrigerator to solidify the buttercream...I use the crusting buttercream found here on CC, but in the warm months it is best to add more Crisco to the buttercream than the butter (keep the ratio of fat the same; adjust the Crisco to the buttercream).

Third...make sure the base is still 'sticky' when putting the roses directly onto the cake...trust me, they will fall off if there is not something upon which they can cling.

I have traveled three hours in a car with this cake and it traveled fine because of the way I had it in the car...It was on a cake stand and I cut a slit in the bottom of a cardboard box in the shape of a 'v' on each side of the cake stand pillar. Carefully peel back the 'v' on each side and insert the cake stand...push the 'v' back against the pillar and the cake will ride easily without touching anything. I put foamy shelf-liner under the box and it took every bump and swerve in the road...not one rose fell off! Yay! * Then I drove one block to a client's house and three roses fell off, so I turned around and had to redo the roses and put in the fridge...it is a strange thing...very strange! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%