Hot Weather Frostings

Decorating By LJJohnson Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 8:57pm by pmarks0

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:36am
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone!

I have a cake to make for my uncle's 80th birthday this weekend, and it just has to be the hottest week of the year here in Minnesota! Temps in the upper 90's and record high dew points, so the humidity is through the roof too!

I am wondering what the best icing to use during this hot/humid time is? I would like to be able to make the cake the day before, so I would prefer an icing that didn't need to be refridgerated. The cake will be larger than any of my cake carriers, so I won't be able to put it in an airtight container.

Thanks for all of your help!

Laura

P.S. I prefer icings like Swiss Meringue Buttercream, would that still work making it a day in advance and leaving it sit out at room (air conditioned room) temp?

6 replies
joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:02am
post #2 of 7

I don't think the SMBC will take the heat. Maybe try an all shortening based recipe like Indy Debby's in the recipe section here on CC. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:09am
post #3 of 7

i used the bc recipe the above poster mentioned on a hot (100 degree) day on a boat so there was tons of humidity. it held up perfect! the cake sat out for 2 1/2 hours in the scorching heat before it was cut and it was delicious.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 7

Also, try Sharon Zambitos recipe here on c/c/. She shows show to make it on youtube.She lives in Lousianna. Can,t get no hotter. lol!!!

LJJohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LJJohnson Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 7

Can someone post a link to Indydebi's butercream? It didn't come up in a c/c search.

Also, what fillings do you usually use when it's hot out? Or which fillings don't require refridgeration?

Thanks!

Laura

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 2:28pm
post #6 of 7
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 7

I just made a large sheet cake (2 9x13 double layers) for a family party. I did refrigerate it from the night before so that it started out cold, but i didn't need to as the filling was shelf stable. I used Sharon Zambito's (SugarShack's) icing. I often use it, but this weekend was the test in the heat. I had the cake sitting out of the fridge from about 1pm in the house, which wasn't super cool.And then at about 5pm it got taken outside where it was easily almost 90 and sat outside for another 3-4 hours. No problem! I've heard IndyDebi's is the same, which I've also used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%