Number Of Layers In A Cake

Decorating By Keciak Updated 21 Jul 2011 , 2:25am by olleharr

Keciak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keciak Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 6

For all the pros out there, how many layers are most of your cakes? My family complains about too much frosting when I torte my cakes and end up with 4 layers even when the layer of frosting is thin. What is standard in the industry for cakes that people order for parties/weddings etc? I use IMBC, which is a lighter frosting but they still say it's too much. I can accommodate my family and go with less layers but just wanted to know what the rest of the world prefers just in case I'm asked to make a cake for someone else someday.

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 6

cake - filling - cake - icing - cake - filling - cake

I often try to do something besides just icing between my layers. So I like a the cake filling icing, that way you get a little in each bite.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 6

I go with 3 layers of filling, 4 of cake. Sometimes my filling is just a thin layer of seedless jam mixed with a bit of butter flavoring and fresh lime juice. I did recently have a bride who wanted only one layer of filling, but that is not typical.

Keciak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keciak Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like the public wants 4 layers but not all frosting in the layers. When I make something for my family they will get 2 layers and filling. (I think my family is just sick of cake from all my practicing LOL!) icon_biggrin.gif

klutzy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutzy_baker Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 1:51am
post #5 of 6

I do:

cake
filling
cake
filling
cake
filling
cake

The filling is not usually frosting. I tend to use jams, mousse, ganache....etc.
Honestly though, if the frosting is SMBC or IMBC, I don't really mind all frosting. But I'm one of those people that like variety, so that's why I like using fillings other than frosting. icon_smile.gif

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 21 Jul 2011 , 2:25am
post #6 of 6

I do three. I had that same reaction to my cakes when I torted at 4. 3 gives them a little less filling and more focus on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%