Lady Bug Disk's. How To? Not Fondant.

Baking By weidertm24 Updated 20 Jul 2011 , 10:54pm by weidertm24

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:24am
post #1 of 30

I'm making 50 cupcakes for a 1st birthday party and she wants ladybugs on top of the frosting. Like in the pictures, http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiocake/2408830957/

However, she doesn't want fondant. What can I use to make lady bug disks that will be edible? I looked into the new sugar paper but that's super expensive.

Any ideas?

I was thinking royal icing but not sure how to go about it that way.

29 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:29am
post #2 of 30

I personally would use modeling chocolate. I use it for flowers and lots of deco's . hth

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 30

You can make them in frozen buttercream transfers or use candy melts/chocolate to create the discs.

Glory0523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Glory0523 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:41am
post #4 of 30

I agree. I would use modeling chocolate and airbrush them red

weidertm24 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:49am
post #5 of 30

I've never used modeling chocolate. What does it taste like?

pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 3:58am
post #6 of 30

dark chocolate modeling chocolate tastes like a tootsie roll

Cakegirl74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakegirl74 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:15am
post #7 of 30

if you are wanting to use royal icing Sweetopia.net has great tutorials on how to make things and then transfer them.

I've used milk chocolate to make my modeling chocolate and it tasted pretty good too.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:03am
post #8 of 30

You should probably explain to her that you're not going to achieve that exact look unless you use fondant.

I'm not saying it can't be done any other way, but it's not going to look exactly the same with any other method. And it will probably be a lot more trouble.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 8:35am
post #9 of 30

You can make your own modeling chocolate by using candy melts and corn syrup. You take a 14 oz bag of candy melts with a 1/3 cup of corn syrup. But you have to kneed and kneed it and kneed is some more. It is quite messy, but once you need it enough, it make a wonderful chocolate clay. There are many colors you can use. Even black for the lady bugs. I have worked with it, even covered a cake with it and loved the results. It won't be hard, like fondant, but it is nice to work with. You could even use some flavoring oils, (LoAnn's) to flavor it any flavor you would want. I really did enjoy working with it, after all the kneeding. icon_biggrin.gif

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 10:58am
post #10 of 30

I've only done small royal ladybugs. Just made some red royal, piped red dots on waxpaper and let them dry. I draw on the spots with a food pen but you could make black royal dots, either wet on wet or pipe them on wax paper to and attach when they are dry.
Cupcake size ones may take a while to dry. But you can make them weeks in advance.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1730374 - the third picture

When I have left over royal, any color, I pipe circles on wax paper let dry and if my kids don't find them and eat them I use them as eyes, flower centres...
I keep them in a new pizza box in a dry dark cupboard and they last forever.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 30

marzipan is nice to model with, too.

Becca1007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becca1007 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 30

You can make them with royal icing. Just pipe them onto wax paper and then when they are dry you can lift them up and place them on the cupcake.

My other suggestion would be to make them on a sugar cookie if you thought the royal icing would be too fragile for you to make.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 4:57pm
post #13 of 30

"But I don't want them done in fondant."

"Well, for them to look clean and dimensional, and correct, I will need to use fondant."

"But I don't want fondant!"

"If you want those cupcakes to look just like that, I will need to use fondant. You can pick them up off the cupcake, and no one has to eat them."

"Oh, ok, you're the cake decorator, I shouldn't tell you how to do your job, huh?"

"Nope."

jlcalvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlcalvert Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm
post #14 of 30

I used royal icing. Made small red mounds and when they dried used and edible black marker to make the dots.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 30

Modeling chocolate.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-make-modeling-chocolate.html

Or royal icing half discs on parchment (this is what I would do).

kimmi1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmi1963 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 30

I had a client want the fondant look but hated fondant so I used rolled buttercream. It had the look of fondant but sweet like buttercream. Just a thought.

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:54am
post #17 of 30

Royal Icing would possibly make nice looking ladybugs, but even though the ingredients are edible, it certainly is hard to eat. Just imagine thos dots on the paper multiplied by the size of the ladybug. That would be so hard to eat, that 1 year olds couldn't do it. I would be afraid they might choke on them. Just a thought

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 5:13pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCaker

"Well, for them to look clean and dimensional, and correct, I will need to use fondant."

"If you want those cupcakes to look just like that, I will need to use fondant. You can pick them up off the cupcake, and no one has to eat them."

"Oh, ok, you're the cake decorator, I shouldn't tell you how to do your job, huh?"

"Nope."

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I would try rolled buttercream

weidertm24 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:40pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:

"Nope."

yeah it's for my best friend. so it's a little different. thanks for nothing.

AnotherCaker Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:42pm
post #20 of 30

Oh you're welcome. It's ok to laugh, really. I'm just making a point that does apply in other situations. icon_smile.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 6:58pm
post #21 of 30

I used color flo and edible marker

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:02pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by weidertm24

Quote:

"Nope."

I'm sure that if it's your best friend she wouldn't mind you telling her that you need to use fondant to have it look like that, though.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:05pm
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidertm24

Quote:

"Nope."

I'm sure that if it's your best friend she wouldn't mind you telling her that you need to use fondant to have it look like that, though.

That's a good point. My friends are usually more understanding and less demanding than a random customer.

AnotherCaker Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 7:19pm
post #24 of 30

I love experimenting with doing things differently, I love to. But I also know when it's appropriate to just say "You know, I really just need to do those in the medium they are best done with. You can just pop them off and the kids can play with them after they eat their cupcake!" End of story, and I move on to doing my work.

boomerangbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boomerangbaker Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:17pm
post #25 of 30

Those disks are removable, does your friend know that?

Does she just want cupcakes with lady bugs on top or does she want THOSE cupcakes?

If she wants those specific cupcakes then just do it fondant and she can take her's off her own cupcakes and let the other 49 guests decided for themselves whether or not they want to eat it.
You'd be surprised how many people really do like fondant.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
post #26 of 30

I don't understand the aversion to fondant...they don't have to eat them, they're decorative.

But, having said that, you can make lady bugs out of good old fashioned butter cream too. That's how all us old gals did it LONG before anyone even heard of fondant.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 8:53pm
post #27 of 30

Check out this link, there are a number of different ladybug cupcakes made all in buttercream.

http://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+buttercream+ladybugs&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=520

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 9:31pm
post #29 of 30

I love the sugar cookie ides, I've used them as toppers! It's an extra treat for guests. But.... it certainly won't look exactly like the pic. Just ask in a nice friendy way if she has to have that EXACT cupcake. If she does, then she has to deal with fondant. If she just wants a ladybug that looks nice, you can use any of the mediums suggested as long as she knows they won't be the exact same.

weidertm24 Posted 20 Jul 2011 , 10:54pm
post #30 of 30

Sorry should have put that they don't need to be exactly like that. Just the idea of lady bug disks on top of the frosting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%