Stiff Rice Crispy Treats

Baking By JULIAHANSEN Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 2:06am by andlydle

JULIAHANSEN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JULIAHANSEN Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 9

I'M MAKING A SOFTBALL GLOVE OUT OF RICE CRISPY TREATS, HOW DO I MAKE THE TREATS FIRM UP HARD SO IT WILL KEEP ITS SHAPE WHEN I GO TO ICE IT AND COVER IT WITH FONDANT? AND I CAN'T USE PEANUT BUTTER.

8 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 9

Just set the glove out with something under it to keep it in the shape you want (pieces of crumpled up paper towel, kleenexes, synthetic pillow stuffing or whatever) while it hardens. The home-made RKTs are harder than the ready-made ones, by the way. I wish you good luck with this!

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 9

I find the store bought RKTs are always firmer than the ones I make so I always buy them and pack them really tightly.

Marianna46 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 9

Actually you could be right, KristyCakes. I've found that marshmallows are made differently in the US and in Mexico, where I live. The home-made ones come out harder here, I think, because marshmallows have a gelatin that sets firmer. The same thing happens with gumdrops! And, now that I think about it, even most of the gelatins (I'm talking about gelatins that are already made up with coloring and flavoring) here are stiff enough that they don't need refrigeration and can be picked up to be eaten without staining your hands or getting them all messy.

jenniemar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniemar Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 9

I don't add as much butter to the recipe to make them harder. BUT- if they are for sure going to get eaten (a kids party) I add the butter.

ampmgal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ampmgal81 Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #6 of 9

I melted about a cup of white chocolate chips and added it to the marshmallow before adding the cereal in mine and omitted the butter. sets up really nicely. Just work fast! If it gets crumbly, microwave it for 10 sec just to melt the mixture again.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 6:12pm
post #7 of 9

If I want it to set up hard, I just use candy melts and cereal.

Marianna46 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:16am
post #8 of 9

Oh, wow, great ideas, guys! I have a cake coming up where I'm going to need some that really set hard.

andlydle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andlydle Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

I also notice a difference with different brands of marshmallows. I use kraft jet puffed small size. only use 3 T butter on the regular size recipe and you should get a good consistency. I've used it to make tools covered in fondant and a few other things- works perfectly everytime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%