The Mat-What Am I Doing Wrong?

Decorating By EdieP Updated 18 Jul 2011 , 3:52am by HeyWife

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 9

ok, got The Mat from Sweetwise this week and used it with my homemade mmf for a wedding we are doing this weekend. The problem was:the mat made the fondant sticky, made little bubbles on the fondant. It was great rolling it but not happy about the look of our fondant. We seasoned the mat just like the youtube instructions stated..so what am I doing wrong

8 replies
simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know about other peoples experience but I've tried MMF twice and had horrible issues both times. I started using Satin Ice and my fondant rolls out just like the video shows icon_smile.gif I love The Mat now that I use Satin Ice

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 9

Did you wipe off the Crisco after seasoning? Are both plastic sheets smooth against each other so there are no bubbles?

I don't have a problem with my Mat & MMF but have to watch that I don't get it too thin because of the rolling ease.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 9

I have used "The Mat" with Fondx and MMF and had no problems. I did notice however that with the MMF there is a good side and a bad side. The good side seems to be the side that is up when you are rolling. The bad side is the underneath where there were a few less than perfect areas. I just flipped it so that the good side was down and removed the top vinyl sheet. That way when it was flipped over and laid on the cake it would end up with the good side up. HTH

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 9

i am thinking it's because of not seasoning before using it

EdieP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EdieP Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 9

No, I seasoned the mat with Crisco and wiped it off with a paper towel, just like the video.

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 16 Jul 2011 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 9

Go to their website they have troubleshooting and they say you have to break it in, like a new pair of shoes.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 17 Jul 2011 , 2:04pm
post #8 of 9

I had the same problem when I first tried using my mat. I ended up with pock marks on my fondant. It takes a very small amount of shortening to season the mat. Take a paper towel and wipe the mat really good like you are almost wiping all of the shortening off. I was afraid to try using the mat again but I had nine cakes to cover and decided to give it another try. I wiped the mat really good and it worked like a charm.

HeyWife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeyWife Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 3:52am
post #9 of 9

Once The Mat gets "broken in" you won't get as many pock marks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%