Tiny Little Clumps In My Gumpaste/fondant Mix? What's This??

Baking By funtodecorate2 Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm by catlharper

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:10am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I mixed up wilton gumpaste and homemade fondant . Used some of it then bagged it up real good. The next day I had all these little round clumps in it and can't seem to break them apart. Roll it out and it looks like little white freckles all through it? Anyone know why and what i can do about it.?
Also even after wrapping it up real good the edges of mix are hard and I end up picking the edges and throwing them away. The middle of the mix is still great just the edges are hard. Why even when I wrap it up good. Anyone else that this issue?
thanks.

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:13am
post #2 of 7

It's dried up gumpaste. Try softening it up in the microwave then kneading it really good with some crisco. But there will be pieces you just have to cull out and throw away once it gets too dried. When you store it you have to double wrap it and then put it into a ziplock back or tupperware container to keep out the air. Any air will start to dry it out.

Cat

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:22am
post #3 of 7

P.S.....what you made is gumpaste...there is a difference between gumpaste and fondant, and Wilton only makes a gumpaste mix. icon_smile.gif

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:33am
post #4 of 7

I made one of the MMF recipes here on cc. and store bought premade gumpaste. thanks for tips. Kind of frustrating . I will seal better. icon_smile.gif

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 12:55am
post #5 of 7

I've noticed the little lumps when I over cook my marshmallows.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

The lumps if they appeared the next day were probably dried bits. Those little things never blend in, so if you do feel hard pieces on the gumpaste, always remove before kneading. If it is still white, you can always use those bits for gum glue.

I'm bad about not storing my gumpaste and fondant well. I do know though, that if you roll it in a ball, rub a little shortening all over the ball, wrap it in plastic wrap then put the whole thing in a ziplock or a air tight container it will last better.

You can also use those vacuum seal bags as well. They suck the air out, and the air is what makes it dry out.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 9:07pm
post #7 of 7

Sugar! Thanx for reminding me..Yup, I use those little pieces for gum glue too! I just add them into a little cup of warm water and stir..in no time I have my glue.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%