What Happened? Spongey Wasc

Baking By KayMc Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 12:46am by mareg

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 5

I've used the WASC recipe with great success many times.... until this week. I was making cupcakes with the batter, and it turned out somewhat spongey in texture. What did I do wrong to cause that? I beat it on low 2 minutes, exactly like I've done each time before.

Please, do any of you experts know what I could have done? thanks....Kay

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 5

Not sure about this one. I have always had spongy cupcakes when I use WASC. In a cake form it's ok, but cupcakes don't turn out as well for me.

Was your mix old? I use DH mixes and use whole milk and full fat sour cream. What about your flour? Maybe next time you should mix for less time, because mixing with a KA even on speed 2 can beat a lot of air into the batter.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 1:53am
post #3 of 5

Maybe it was the beating. What I'm doing is searching for a good scratch recipe for the vanilla cupcakes. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them all!

Goonergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goonergirl Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 5

I think I may know the problem. IF you are using Betty Crocker mixes in your WASC, they have recently downsized their mixes. Same price...less product. Used to be 510g, and now its 461g. (in Canada, anyway) The chocolate was downsized even more. So it only makes sense that recipes using this mix aren't going to turn out like they used to. I think I'll start a separate thread to warn other WASC bakers abut this.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:46am
post #5 of 5

Goonrgirl, I would like to know too! I use the WASC all the time for cc and cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%