Can You Do A Frozen Buttercream Transfer For Scrollwork?

Decorating By danawitkowski Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm by TexasSugar

danawitkowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danawitkowski Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I have a wedding cake I'm going to start working on tomorrow, and it has quite a bit of scrollwork on it, and I'm not entirely comfortable with scrollwork. It's black on white too, so any mess ups would be very noticeable! I am very good at frozen buttercream transfers, but I've never used it for something skinny like scrollwork before. Can you do scrollwork using the transfer method? Or does anyone have any ideas besides freehanding it? I can not use any of the Wilton Presses because they don't have any in the design I am going to be scrolling. Any input/ideas would be so helpful!
Thanks!

3 replies
tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 4

FBCT might be a bit breakable? Especially for thin lines. It would thaw very quickly, maybe in your fingers before it hits the cake. Would royal icing pieces work? Is the cake square, round ... ? I assume the scrollwork is on the sides of the cake and not the top?

danawitkowski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danawitkowski Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:02pm
post #3 of 4

I forgot to mention: It's a square cake, 3 tiers. Only on the sides of each tier, not on the top. It's not going to be tip 1 thin, but probably tip 3 or 4. I thought it might be breakable, but I did do a little writing in fbct in my elmo cake. It didn't break, but I had to move very quickly. Has anyone else used scrollwork transfers?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 4

When I have small pieces coming off a fbct, those seem to be the ones that stick to the backing and don't come off, probably because it thaws so much. So my thoughts would be that it probably won't work as well as you think it might.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-718205-royal.html+icing+transfer

In this thread I explain how I did a transfer on to fondant of a pattern I wanted to pipe. I did it on fondant, but I really can't see why it wouldn't work with at crusting buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%