How To Make This Wood Grained Cake?

Decorating By courtneys_cakes Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 4:17pm by cakesnglass

courtneys_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtneys_cakes Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know how to make this cake? Are the sides decorated with chocolate transfers? I'm getting married this October and am leaning towards a design like this - if I can just figure out how to do it! icon_smile.gif Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.theknot.com.au/wedding-planning/real-weddings/wood-grain-wedding-cake

Thanks!
Courtney

5 replies
tracieduran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieduran Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 6

Is the cake covered in chocolate or fondant? If it is fondant I can help icon_biggrin.gif

courtneys_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtneys_cakes Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 11:50am
post #3 of 6

I have no idea... all I have is that picture/link. Would love to hear your thoughts on what to do if it is fondant - I just want it to look like that, even if it's not how they did it for the picture. Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

tracieduran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieduran Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 6

I made one very similar to the one your looking at and i used cream fondant then added streaks of different coloured browns and lightly moulded it into it. Once you have rolled it for the cake and smoothed it out you can make the pattern more prominant by useing the edible pens. It looks very effective and if you want to put notts in it you can paint them on afterwards. They are not hard to do. Good luck and I hope I have helped!! icon_biggrin.gif

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:42pm
post #5 of 6

It appears to me it is fondant with the faux wood grain tool you can purchase at places like Home Depot possible coated or dragged thru the coloring.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 4:17pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with ranae5463 - I saw something similar on a cake show, they used the tool but they did use modeling chocolate panels instead of fondant. Fondant with tylose should work too, lovely look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%