Help! Wired Flowers

Decorating By cookiecutters Updated 15 Jul 2011 , 3:32pm by TexasSugar

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 6

Please, please, please help. I am desperately trying to make a southern magnolia. I have Nicholas Lodge's video and I have watched other video tutorials on wired flowers. But, after SEVERAL attempts, I am still having the same disaster! The thing is absolutely beautiful until I start assembling the petals together. At this point, the petals start cracking where the wire is inserted and the whole thing has to be trashed to start all over again! Please, all of you flower experts, what am I doing wrong????

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 6

Are you letting them dry completely? What are you using to make the flowers?

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 6

In addition to Texas Sugar's questions, are you making sure to keep a thick enough ridge in the center where the wires are embedded? If your magnolia petals are life size you will need a pretty sturdy gauge wire in them with a fair amount of paste covering the wire in order to give stability to the insertion. Then, letting them dry over night is best. HTH

tracieduran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieduran Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 6

Make sure that you are using the correct gauge wire and that your flower paste is thick enough for the wire. When you insert the wire dappen the end slightly and it will stick and hold better. Allow to dry for a couple of days so that they are solid. Hope that helps. Message me if your still having problems. icon_biggrin.gif

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 6

I am pretty sure I have the right gauge wire. I am using the same wires that is recommended in the video. I am using Satin Ice gumpaste for the petals. As far as having enough paste around the wire, I am rolling them on the cel board and running the wire in the ridge. The video says to rub the ridge out after the wire is inserted. Maybe not do that so the ridge stays thicker?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 6

How far up are you inserting the wire as well?

I'm not sure about the ridge, because I've seen flowers that were done in a different way than threading the wire in the ridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%