Wondermold Cake Pan Question

Baking By specialtycakesbysara Updated 14 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm by Marianna46

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 5

I have the Wilton Wondermold Cake Pan, but I can't find the center metal heating core. Has anyone ever made the cake without the heating core thing?? Did it turn out ok?? Also, does it take one or two cake mix boxes?? Thanks!!

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 5

I don't have the Wondermold pan, but I bake cakes in bowls all the time without a flower nail or heating core. They come out fine. Sorry I can't answer your question about the number of mixes, although I've noticed that a lot of Wilton pans are made for exactly one mix. This is not a hard problem to solve, though, if you're willing to buy two cake mixes: make up one, see how it fits into the mold and if you think you need more, make up another one and add it. The delay in getting the first batter into the oven won't be serious enough to affect the quality of the cake. If you're worried about it, you can put the batter in the fridge while you make up the extra. There should be directions either with the cake pan or on the cake mix box as to how far from the top to fill your pan. Good luck!

Cake_Nurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Nurse Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 5

I am not sure about the core, but if you just use one mix it will not be as big as the actual pan. It doesn't take 2 whole mixes though. Fill to about 2 inches from the top and put a cookie sheet underneath incase it overflows. Hope that helps.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 5

If you are using a doctored mix one will be enough. Without the heating core I would think it would take longer to cook and you may get a dome when it is done. Might help to lower the temp a bit.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Jul 2011 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 5

That's what we needed, ladies, some hard-and-fast information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge (as opposed to my usual speculation when I don't know the answer - haha)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%