Fondant/gumpaste Bows

Decorating By mbyrne Updated 12 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm by carmijok

mbyrne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbyrne Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 4

I made a bow in one of my classes where we cut out the strips, formed them, and let them set to harden. We left ours for 3 weeks, but does anyone know how long they really need to sit out for so they will not crumple when put together? They were 50/50 fondant and gumpaste. Can you do one or the other forms? Any input would be awesome as I am new to decorating and I need some ideas.

Thanks!

3 replies
Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 4

I suppose it depends on thickness, but I would imagine 24 hours would be long enough. Works for my flowers.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 4

With fondant/gumpaste, you can probably put it together in 24-48 hours. You can always use some tissue to help hold the shape of your loops are a little too soft.

You can use some fondants, but I've always used the blends since they dry harder/faster. You can use all gumpaste, but you have to work quickly with it, to keep from it drying and cracking on ya.

I've never had anyone actually eat the bow, so really they could be made in advance and just kept in a cardboard box so it stays dust free.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 4

For flowers and bows I always use pure gum paste...wilton's pre made gum paste. I like the fact that it can dry so quickly. You can do all kinds of movement in your bow's 'tails' and hold them for a few seconds and they'll stay and dry that way. You can roll it very thin too without cracking. Gum paste is edible but not very tasty I don't think. Although I did have a relative of mine eat the flowers off an anniversary cake I did...he said they tasted like Necco wafers...can't say I'm crazy about those either!

I've used left over flowers before that I had stored for several months. I kept them in a covered box away from harsh light.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%