Can You Use Cannoli Filling Is A Frosting?

Decorating By lindsaybee Updated 19 Jul 2011 , 12:20am by Marianna46

lindsaybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaybee Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone ever used cannoli filling, or a variation of, to frost a cake? If so, please share your experiences, what works, and what doesn't!

Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 6:53am
post #2 of 7

I haven't done it before, but I'd be sorely tempted to try it. It's kind of like a cream cheese frosting combined with whipped cream and chocolate chips. Who can beat that? The only problem might be the consistency. If it's runnier than a spreadable buttercream, I figure there are two things you can do: either add more powdered sugar or store it in the refrigerator, where it's sure to firm up. If it's thicker than buttercream, maybe add a little unwhipped cream. Either way you're in business. Some of the best frosting I ever made was when I mixed buttercream with whipped cream, because I didn't have enough of either one to finish a cake. Turned out to be a capital idea, so I'd say go for it!

awilder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awilder Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 7

The cannoli filling I make is not firm enough to be a frosting, but I am with Marianna46, if you add more powdered sugar, I think it would be ok. The only thing is the more sugar you add, the sweeter it becomes, and you lose that delicate cannoli filling flavor. What kind of cake are you making? I make a cannoli cake, and i use cream cheese frosting and then top with a chocolate ganache..

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:19pm
post #4 of 7

I did it once and it worked fine. However, if you plan on putting fondant decorations on it (I used the cannoli icing to pipe on cupcakes, then added fondant decorations), these melt gradually over a few hours. I think it's the ricotta cheese or milk that starts to separate in the cannoli icing at room temperature, not sure. If you have to add the fondant pieces, just add them last minute icon_smile.gif. It took about 4 hours for decorations to melt/bleed.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 15 Jul 2011 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 7

Sounds delicious! I like this idea icon_biggrin.gif

lindsaybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaybee Posted 18 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone!

I will be doing the cake next week so I'll let you know how it turns out. The lady wants a chocolate cake with cannoli filling/frosting and the shells crumbled around the sides. Sounds delicious! Unfortunately, I can't have milk so I don't even get to taste it!!!!! icon_cry.gif

icon_lol.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 19 Jul 2011 , 12:20am
post #7 of 7

Oh, gosh, that's too bad, because it really DOES sound delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%