Do You Do Multiple Dozen Discount? What Do You Do?

Baking By Creative_Cookies_Cakes Updated 13 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm by Stephy42088

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 3:57am
post #1 of 14

I make gourmet cupcakes for my shop for $2.00 each. I am thinking I would like to do a multiple dozen discount or a discount for purchasing over 100, 200... Does anyone else do this? If you do what are your discounts? Please share. Thanks in advance.

13 replies
steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 4:33am
post #2 of 14

We do offer discounts as the order increases but the $2.00 already sounds pretty low. Are they decorated cupcakes? Fondant toppers etc? We do charge 2.50$ per cupcake for standard cupcakes without custom decorations. As the dozens increase we will charge the standard price for the first dozen($30) but then $25 for the next few dozen. By the time they order about 100 cupcakes (8 dozen is 96) it's $200, 200 cupcakes we would do for $350. So the cupcakes started at $2.50 per cupcake went down to $2.00 per cupcake and then $1.75 per cupcake etc. Hope that wasn't confusing lol.

Individual cc. $2.50 per cc
100 + $2.00 per cc
200+. $1.75 per cc

It doesn't go down indefinitely you can choose your bottom price.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:24am
post #3 of 14

We don't offer quantity discounts for a single order, but if a customer commits to a weekly or monthly order we would probably offer a small discount. Since we are a custom-order bakery and not a high volume operation there's no reason to offer a discount for a single order, since our marginal costs are not appreciably lower for 12 dozen cupcakes vs. 1 dozen.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 5:39am
post #4 of 14

No, i don't.
I am running a business.

The only time i offer a discount is for a returning customer - but they have to spend X ammount of dollars on a large cake before they recieve that discount.

If i go to the hairdressers and get a colour and style i pay X ammount of dollars.
If i go and get a colour, style AND Treatment - my hairdresser doesn't discount her fee because i am having more.

As i mentioed above - i am running a business just like everyone else.
If they want discount there is always the supermarket down thr road who does discount after 4pm.

I don't want customers who think......
"ohhhh, lets go order from Blue, she does discount"

Bluehue.

steffla Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:33am
post #5 of 14

I kindlydisagree for my own business. If you go to a high end furniture dealer you will get a lower price if you buy multiple pieces than just one. A bed may cost $xxx but if you also purchase the dressers, nightstand, mirrors and lounge chair,that price will go down collectively.

Even car dealerships do it. Talk to someone who has bought two cars at once..they get a discount.

Want a new air conditioning unit from an installer? Need two and the price is lower.

I am also running a business and there is nothing wrong with that concept. To each his own but it works for us and gets us the order as opposed to the other bakeries they check that dont do this...plus ours taste better icon_smile.gif

steffla Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:46am
post #6 of 14

I kindlydisagree for my own business. If you go to a high end furniture dealer you will get a lower price if you buy multiple pieces than just one. A bed may cost $xxx but if you also purchase the dressers, nightstand, mirrors and lounge chair,that price will go down collectively.

Even car dealerships do it. Talk to someone who has bought two cars at once..they get a discount.

Want a new air conditioning unit from an installer? Need two and the price is lower.

I am also running a business and there is nothing wrong with that concept. To each his own but it works for us and gets us the order as opposed to the other bakeries they check that dont do this...plus ours taste better icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:47am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

I am also running a business and there is nothing wrong with that concept. To each his own - Exactely - its what ever *works for you* and bring customers and $$$'s in the door.
Sorry if you thought my post was harsh - i just put my view forward as to the question you asked.

Blue.

but it works for us and gets us the order as opposed to the other bakeries they check that dont do this...plus ours taste better icon_smile.gif

steffla Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 6:54am
post #8 of 14

Absolutely! Believe me I never come on these message boards to argue. We all need to run our businesses in different ways and it's good for people like the OP to see it from many different angles so they can see what they think would work for them! thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 7:04am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffla

Absolutely! Believe me I never come on these message boards to argue. We all need to run our businesses in different ways and it's good for people like the OP to see it from many different angles so they can see what they think would work for them! thumbs_up.gif

thumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif Blue

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:46am
post #10 of 14

I give a discount but my situation may be different. I make a few as 12 cupcakes and they are all made to order. It is much easier for me to make one or two kinds in larger quantities. The extra time is less, but the ingredients cost remains constant. I am also looking to entice companies, so that discount is an incentive for future orders or referrals. If it is for a one time event, such as a wedding, the discount is available, but it is less than a corporate discount.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Jul 2011 , 10:52am
post #11 of 14

I had a car dealership who had a standing order for 25-30 dozen cookies every single day, 5 days a week, 4 weeks a month, 12 months a year. This kind of volume enabled me to buy in volume, do bulk packing and utilize full capacity in my ovens ... all of which reduced my per unit cost. So yes, that kind of an order got a discount.

A one time order of 100 cookies (which is only 8 dozen) did not merit a discount.

I think each person/business needs to define what is "high volume" to them and that definition should have some pricing/costing/expense logic to it. A one time order of 8 dozen was no where NEAR high volume to me because the unit cost was not reduced by such a small order. 30 dozen every single day was.

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 3:11am
post #12 of 14

I want to thank everyone for thier comments I really appreciate it.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 12:23pm
post #13 of 14

I don't necessarily give a discount for someone purchasing 100 cupcakes. That said, however, I do have a minimum order. Since I do custom only, I can't sell somone just 4 cupcakes. If I were able to do that, the price per cupcake vs. per dozen may be different. I do have a customer that consistently orders 144 cupcakes every month for their company birthay luncheon and that customer gets a discount for repeat (relatively large) business.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 13 Jul 2011 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 14

I get a lot of people asking me about volume discounts for cake pops for weddings and I tell them I don't offer volume discounts (i do if its repeat, commercial account). but then sometimes if they are interested in doing a cake with the cake pops or a lot of other desserts i will give a small discount or offer free delivery or something, that way the customer will think they are getting a great deal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%