How Do I Stack A Cake That Has A Ceramic Stand In The Middle

Decorating By Berta51 Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm by cathyscakes

Berta51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Berta51 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 3

My son is getting married in Oct. The cake they picked out has a ceramic cake stand on top of the bottom tier that holds the next 2 tiers. My question is how do I stabilize that cake stand on the bottom tier. I have stacked cakes before, but never using that type of stand. I'm a little stumped. Please help. Thanks!!

2 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 3

I think you would do it just like the ceramic stand is another tier. You'll want to make sure that the bottom of the ceramic stand is flat, and not hollow inside (like an upside down bowl), so you can dowel the bottom tier and set the stand on top. You'll probably want to stack it on site though...

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 3

If you look in my photos I did a grape inspired wedding cake and I did what you are talking about. used a plastic plate with the plastic dowels attached and the ceramic pedistal sat on top of that, it was really secure and flat doing it that way, making sure all of the legs are the same length. I set up at the wedding. I did tell the bride that during the cake cutting ceremony to not cut the cake from the top two tiers, wasn't sure if it would topple. I think it would depend on how big the base of the pedistal is, mine wasn't that big. It worked out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%