Been Toying With The Idea Of Moving The Shop To My Home.....

Business By littlecake Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm by Loucinda

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 6:20am
post #1 of 6

adding a few hundred feet to my house, i'm getting older, and i figured i could do less work with less overhead.

talked to the health dept dude, and i'm zoned ok.

but i started thinking...if it's where you live..........will the customers just bug the living crap out of you on your days off...coming to the door of the house etc.

i really like my privacy...and i've already had a few track me down and come to my home on my day off.

has anyone else moved from a storefront to a add on home kitchen?

5 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:06am
post #2 of 6

Mine has only been in my home. It is so convenient. I only work when I want. My address is on my site, but I make it clear that it is not a storefront. One thing that stops it for me is that my main market is 15 miles from my house, so dropping by doesn't happen. I'm not really answering your question, justsaying that working from home in a separate kitchen is great.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:44am
post #3 of 6

We built on a certified kitchen a few years ago. It has worked out very good, I make it cleat to all clients that it is a cake studio, by appointment only. I don't list my address on any marketing materials--just business forms, invoices, etc. In 2 years I have only had one random person drop by, and he was some sort of salesman.

It works very well for me, but I mainly do large events and weddings.

HTH

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6

Just make sure you don't leave your address anywhere online, etch- people WILL show up!

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 6

4 years now I've had a legal home bakery. Love it! I can choose my own hours, stop to go run errands, no overhead to worry about, etc. All of my cakes are delivered with no pick ups at my home. I enjoy my privacy.. My address is unlisted on everything. However, I do give my address out for deposits or payments to be mailed. Only ONCE has someone stopped by who was to send the deposit.... Very annoying, on a Sunday, we were out doing yard work! Other then that, people stopping by has not been a problem.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 6

Mine is also a home based business. I have that posted on my website, and I have never had anyone *show up* without an appointment. I think as long as you present it as an appoinment only business, you don't have any trouble. I also do allow people to pick up cakes - but again, BY appointment! I LOVE having my business in my home. I work when I want to, and have no overhead of the seperate store front. Best of both worlds!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%