Anyone Else Get Emails Like This?

Business By VanillaCoke Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 12:58am by JoanieB

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:58am
post #1 of 8

Lately I've received a few emails where the bride says something along the lines of "I'm looking for 'knock-your-socks-off' cake", or "I want the Most Incredible Cake Ever...Mouthwatering", or the latest- "I want HOLY CRAP cake!" (yes, that's a quote). I read these, and I think to myself- WHAT are they hoping I will say? "Yes, My cake is The ANSWER!" ... "Not me, mine Is just so-so.".... ?

7 replies
vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:29am
post #2 of 8

Set up a tasting with them so they can decide for themselves if your cake is what they are looking for.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 4:24am
post #3 of 8

They've been watching too many cake shows. PROVE to me you're the best! And then some cake decorator makes an 'impossible' cake complete with moving parts and explosions.
Now ordinary people expect every baker in the world to be able to 'knock their socks off'. Fine. Show me the money! I guarantee you these same 'knock your socks off' people will gag at the price of what it would cost to do just that!
I'd just answer back in email, 'please call and set up a tasting and we can discuss your vision at that time'. You don't have to say anything beyond that.

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 4:32am
post #4 of 8

lol sometime I wish CC had a 'like' button because carmijok I like your reply. Everyone wants the cakes the see on the food network but no one wants to pay for them. Where I am from it's hard enough to get people to pay $2 a serving, they would die if I quoted them a price for an 'impossible' cake. I like watching cake shows, but IDK if I would actually eat the cake after they are done. For me they are handling the cake to much and putting soooo much stuff on the cake to make it look right that it doesn't seem edible anymore.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 4:39am
post #5 of 8

I had an inquiry for a catering and on her list was some "kick-a$$ apple pie!" I had a feeling before the whole thing was over, I'd be wanting to kick HER a$$ once or twice!!! icon_lol.gif

do they really think this terminology impresses anyone? icon_confused.gif

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I had an inquiry for a catering and on her list was some "kick-a$$ apple pie!" I had a feeling before the whole thing was over, I'd be wanting to kick HER a$$ once or twice!!! icon_lol.gif

do they really think this terminology impresses anyone? icon_confused.gif

LMBO!

I usually am booked, so I just give them my standard reply. It's just the wording that seems outrageous to me- I agree it probably has a lot to do with the cake shows. They are a blessing and a curse....mostly a curse, IMO.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 8

I doubt that when they ask for something like that they're talking about how it will taste. They're thinking about the appearance of it. I'd tell them how much a knock-your-socks-off-and-make-your-friends-cry-from-jealousy cake costs and see if they're still interested.

JoanieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanieB Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 12:58am
post #8 of 8

icon_lol.gif I want to "like" all your replies!! This is so funny to me. The same way juries are plagued by the "CSI effect" I think decorators are plagued by the "cake boss/ace of cakes etc effect" icon_rolleyes.gif

For my 10 year olds birthday last month I made him a Nintendo DS cake and a few kids at his party said, "can you play it?" He's like, "It's a cake, why would you be able to play it?" and one of his friends replied, "Well Cake Boss could do it".......Seriously kid?! I replied, well this cake was free and my cakes do not come with a $1000 minimum order.

I really need to reconsider who my kids hang out with...... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%