Help Steaming Gumpaste With Silver Glaze And Edible Varnish.

Decorating By CasperCakeCreations Updated 10 Jul 2011 , 3:23pm by CasperCakeCreations

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:24am
post #1 of 5

I have made a vintage truck out of gumpaste to lay on top of a sheet cake. I used various dusts, silver glaze, and edible varnish and need to know if steaming to set the dusts will mess up the silver and varnish.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 5

I assume that you put the glaze/varnish over the dust(s). If so, they are "set".

I don't steam anything that has been glazed or varnished. It just creates pock marks.

If it's still in question, take a piece of scrap gum paste or fondant & test it.

Rae

CasperCakeCreations Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:21am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the response, that is what I thought. To make the body of the truck shine, would rubbing it lightly with shortening work? I am new at this, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:31am
post #4 of 5

The shine from shortening is pretty transient.

I have been told, but have never tried, that a mixture of 1/2 lemon JUICE and 1/2 clear corn syrup brushed on will yield a nice shine. I suggest trying it on a scrap piece of fondant

Rae

CasperCakeCreations Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 3:23pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you BlakesCakes for all of your suggestions. Being a Newbie, I need all of the help I can get. I do not want to do anything that will mess up what I have done. When I finish the cake I will post pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%