Mint Chocolate Chip

Baking By mplaidgirl2 Updated 11 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm by linedancer

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 4:03am
post #1 of 13

I heard somewhere that there is a recipe that used Melted icecream as the liquid in a cake....

I was asked to make a Mint Chocolate Chip flavored cake...

I thought this method would be cool to try.. Does anyone have a recipe that does this or have a better idea?

12 replies
mplaidgirl2 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:58am
post #2 of 13

anyone?

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 13

I'd probably do:

1. Favorite chocolate cake recipe. Filled with buttercream that's been flavored with mint, tinted a light green, and had chocolate shards/chips folded into it.

2. Favorite chocolate cake recipe with a half tsp of mint added to batter. Any filling.

3. White cake with mint flavoring (replacing almond or some vanilla) and a little green coloring and chocolate shards/mini-chips folded into batter. Dark choc ganache filling.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 13

I made some Mint Chocolate Cupcakes recently and what I did was make chocolate cake and add Creme de Menthe (Lorann oil) into it, then I made a SMBC and put in some Creme de Menthe as well. I added a little green food coloring to the SMBC and then sprinkled Andes chips (from the baking aisle by the choc chips) on top.

While I don't like the flavor in general (I don't believe mint and chocolate should go together), I found that the SMBC was delicious and the smell was pretty spot on. I was told the taste was awesome.

I will post a picture of one of them right now. I made Lego toppers.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 13

[quote="instant-gratificaketion"]
(I don't believe mint and chocolate should go together)quote]

???
icon_surprised.gif
It is pretty obvious that the only thing that doesn't go with chocolate is... is... is... okay, so maybe there isn't anything that doesn't go with chocolate, but mint? How can someone who came up with one of the cleverest monikers on CC spread such vicious libel! tsk tsk tsk...

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:33am
post #6 of 13

[quote="Spuddysmom"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by instant-gratificaketion

(I don't believe mint and chocolate should go together)quote]

???
icon_surprised.gif
It is pretty obvious that the only thing that doesn't go with chocolate is... is... is... okay, so maybe there isn't anything that doesn't go with chocolate, but mint? How can someone who came up with one of the cleverest monikers on CC spread such vicious libel! tsk tsk tsk...

HAHAHA! I cracked up when I read this. Okay, I know I'm in the minority with my preference, but I feel like mint really overpowers and takes away from the wonderful, awesome deliciousness that is chocolate. But to be honest, that's about the ONLY thing I think doesn't go with chocolate. Please don't judge me based on that though, I'm really a sane, normal person! icon_razz.gif

mplaidgirl2 Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 13

I don't like mint chocolate chip. I feel like I'm eating toothpaste.
But its the birthday boys favorite. I'm only making 1/2 mint chocolate chip because I have a feeling noone else will like it. lol. How does an 8 year old love mint.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 9 Jul 2011 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 13

Here is a recipe using melted ice cream as an ingredient in the cake batter. I have not tried it but it sure sounds good!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Incredible-Melted-Ice-Cream-Cake-102834

mplaidgirl2 Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

Here is a recipe using melted ice cream as an ingredient in the cake batter. I have not tried it but it sure sounds good!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Incredible-Melted-Ice-Cream-Cake-102834

omg! Thats exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 2:44am
post #10 of 13

I would do white cake with creme de menthe flavoring, green food color, and mini chocolate chips and then chocolate ganache filling. Oh yum. Now I want some.

I honestly do not think melted ice cream would make it have a strong flavor...would probably just give a hint, like the pudding mixes do.

linedancer Posted 10 Jul 2011 , 10:22am
post #11 of 13

mplaidgirl2 You are welcome. If you try it let us know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

mplaidgirl2 Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:18pm
post #12 of 13

So I tried it. Just came out of the oven
I added a little water and about a 1/4 cup of oil cause people said it was dry.
It came out super moist .

The flavor was very mild of mint but you can taste it.

They want buttercream so I think I'm going to make a minty chocolate chip butter cream to amp up the flavor

linedancer Posted 11 Jul 2011 , 5:34pm
post #13 of 13

Glad to know it worked for you, thanks for reporting back..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%