Duff's Fondant And Refrigerator Question

Decorating By peony421 Updated 8 Jul 2011 , 5:19am by scp1127

peony421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peony421 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 3

I have made several cake and always use Satin Ice Fondant. My cakes are iced and filled usually with the Buttercream Dream recipe. I usually cover and decorate my cakes the night before my event then stick them in the fridge. I know people say not to refrigerate a fondant covered cake, but with Satin Ice I have never had a problem. I feel like it help it stay nice and smooth and look it's best because the buttercream underneath stays firm.

My question is I'm making a cake for Saturday and this time I got colored Duff's fondant to try out. Now I'm concerned about refrigerating my cake. Can someone tell me if it's okay to refrigerate my cake once it's covered in Duff's fondant? It's too late for me to get Satin Ice! Would I need to refrigerate since I'm using buttercream?

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:18am
post #2 of 3

I had to refrigerate a cake with his fondant while I was working on it (vegan cake and frosting would start getting soft). It did sweat, but dried perfectly. When the tiers were done, I boxed them and completely covered the boxes with plastic wrap. The cake was fine.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jul 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 3

And yes, I know Duff's/Fondarific is not vegan. The vegans at the wedding peeled it off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%