Filling And Dirty Icing

Decorating By katie725 Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 9:00pm by costumeczar

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all, I am fairly new at cake decorating but now that I have become comfortable with making/decorating cakes, I'm looking to venture out on my flavors and fillings.

If you fill with fruit, cream cheese, ganache or anything other than bc, do you still always dirty ice with bc before putting fondant on? I'm looking to make a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting between layers..will that taste funny if I dirty ice with bc? any suggestions are apprectiated!

thanks in advance!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:30am
post #2 of 9

Well, I think we know which TV show you've been watching. In 50 years of baking I've only heard one person use that term.

Yes, you crumb coat a cake before putting on fondant. In fact I crumb coat, then lay on a thinnish layer of icing and then fondant. And regular bc works fine under fondant.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 10:59am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Well, I think we know which TV show you've been watching. In 50 years of baking I've only heard one person use that term.

thumbs_up.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 9

Hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Yes, it's called "crumb coating" the cake, not "dirty icing" it. I cover red velvet with cream cheese filling with regular vanilla buttercream all the time, it tastes fine.

Sam_paggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sam_paggers Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 9

brilliant icon_smile.gif

katie725 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katie725 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 9

dirty ice and crumb coat are the same anyways right? and yes, i love me some buddy icon_biggrin.gif

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

Oh that's funny. I do not watch that show but I've seen the term here on CC, so didn't realize it really only originated in one place!

KODYSMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KODYSMOM Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 9

Wow....I hear Buddy use tha term all the time and always wondered what he meant by "dirty icing" the cake before putting fondant!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, when he says "dirty ice" he's talking about crumb coating something. I bet the first time that came out of his mouth on the show thousands of cake decorators went "huh?" because I think he made that term up. Must be something they've always said, but nobody I've ever spoken to had heard it before that show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%