Brushing On Pearl Dust With Vodka???

Decorating By lealea2011 Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 4:30pm by shaekae81

lealea2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lealea2011 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:35am
post #1 of 9

I have made several butterflies and flowers from a fondant/gumpaste mixture for a girls 4th bday cake.
Is it safe to brush on pearl shimmer dust using vodka?
I have been told the alcohol evaporates as it dries and leaves no taste, but just want to be doubly sure!!!

8 replies
KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:39am
post #2 of 9

yes its perfectly fine, you can also use clear vanilla extract or lemon extract if your worried about it but after the vodka dries there is no taste or alcohol left.

MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:49am
post #3 of 9

Vodka works awesome! I worried in the beginning too, but it did a great job, and it doesn't take long until you can't even tell you used it icon_smile.gif

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:23am
post #4 of 9

Sorry to just jump in, but I have been curious about using vodka as well. What is the best vodka to use or does it matter? Also, what is the best ratio of pearl shimmer to vodka?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 7:20am
post #5 of 9

Most vodka is the same proof, 70, as the vanilla extract sold in stores. Both are 35%. So bypassing the vodka and subbing vanilla is still the same amount of alcohol.

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgray

Sorry to just jump in, but I have been curious about using vodka as well. What is the best vodka to use or does it matter? Also, what is the best ratio of pearl shimmer to vodka?

you need very little vodka, you just need enough to make a paste that you can paint with. What I suggest doing is put the vodka in a seperate container and dip your paint brush in the vodka and then in the pearl dust and I just kept doing that until all the pearl dust was wet and thinned out enough to paint with it.

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 9

a higher amount of alcohol will lead to a thinner covering of the dust....so it totally depends on the affect you are going for. Thinner mixtures are great for hints of shimmer, whereas less liquid in the mixture covers solidly. my suggestion is to test the opacitity of your mixture before using it on the cutouts you plan to use on the cake. As a side note, if you just want touches of shimmer, you cant brush it on dry as well.

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:26pm
post #8 of 9

I buy the miniature vodka bottles from Smirnoff and get the flavored kind, usually vanilla or strawberry, leaves a nice smell and blends well too.

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 9

I use clear extracts as well for the scents they leave....coconut was a big hit!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%