Not Sure What To Do!

Decorating By angelcakes11 Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm by ccr03

angelcakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes11 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:19am
post #1 of 13

I have a cake to make for this Saturday. The cake will be white velvet with buttercream. My problem is the jewlery that is to be put on this cake, I am thinking it will tear the fondant as they are heavy brooches, any suggestions on what I can do???

12 replies
angelcakes11 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:24am
post #2 of 13

Heres a link to the picture of the cake i have to make

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i455/angelcakes114/ it is the blue one with the royal icing swags.

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:50am
post #3 of 13

are these real gems and metal or is this something you are making from gum paste etc? If you are making them they should not weigh that much. If they are real I am more concerned about the metal on the cake then the weight. If the fondant is set good it should hold up pretty well.

angelcakes11 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:08am
post #4 of 13

They are real gems she gave them to me to put on the cake, they are brooches that have a pin in the back they are heavy as they are quite large. If the fondant isnt sturdy enough to hold them would royal icing put at the back of the brooches be a better choice? then the silver brooch wont be touching the cake and it should help hold on the brooches.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 11:43am
post #5 of 13

I don't know if it would work, but I think I would try melted chocolate first. It would dry faster too.

angelcakes11 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 13

thanks, that may be a better choice. I am going to bake the cake today, my other dilemma is whether to go 10" round or 8" round, it is for 15 people, my pans are 3 inches deep and I would have to bake 2 cakes in order to add these brooches and to duplicate the design on the cake of the picture she sent me. It is going to take alot of fondant as this cake will be high with two 3 inch layers plus butter cream in the middle, I am really lost on this cake I dont want a disaster on my hands and I am also thinking that the slices would be to tall! the cake would stand at approximately 7 inches tall.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:22pm
post #7 of 13

I would be tempted to attach some wire around the fastening at the back of the brooches and place the wire ends into posy picks. This should anchor them into the cake instead of relying on the fondant to hold the weight.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 13

If the cake is only for 15 you'll probably want to go for the 8 inch round, especially if you are going really tall, or you'll have lots of cake left over. Of course a single 8 inch tier that is 7 inches tall might look odd as well (sort of towerish). You might, however, bevel the top edge so as to give your brooches a less vertical area to sit on which would reduce the chance of disaster should their weight want to pull them down because there is the chance if they're heavy enough and you secure them well enough they'll just pull the fondant off in chunks. If you cut the bevel 1 inch down you'd still have six inches for your swag design on the side of the cake, but the whole would have less of a tower effect.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:44pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckaren

I would be tempted to attach some wire around the fastening at the back of the brooches and place the wire ends into posy picks. This should anchor them into the cake instead of relying on the fondant to hold the weight.

I agree. thumbs_up.gif

angelcakes11 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your replies , I am going to go with the 8" and I will be wiring the brooches.. thanks again.

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 13

Make sure you post a photo, I'd love to see the finished cake. icon_smile.gif

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 13

I would hammer skewers cut to length in at an angle and all the way into your base board/drum. Leave a bit sticking out, and just hang those brooshes on the ends. That's what I do with the jeweled brooches and whatnot people bring me. Not sure how heavy those are, but a posy pick only anchored part way into the cake and nothing else may just rip right thru.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 13

Also, the pans may be 3" tall, but you don't have to fill them up all the way. Fill them half or a little less to reach the 2"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%