Newbie Here. First Time Cake Recipe Needed.

Baking By nadineme Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm by nadineme

nadineme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadineme Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 3

Hi.....My name is Nadine. I am very new to cake or anything decorating. I love making simple duncan hines cakes and eating them up like theres no tomorrow. I have recently seen a websit of my daughters friend who makes cakes. Absolutely beautifull. She does alot of stuff in bulk so trying to cut the recipe is really tough. Does anyone have a simple white cake recipe that would be good for someone starting out. And a little advice as far as icing and decorating would be fantastic with this being my first real attempt.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here.

2 replies
TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 3

The *Original* WASC cake recipe
Ingredients
The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*

Instructions
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. Its helpful to use a wire whisk; important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.

1.In mixer bowl place next 4 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
2.Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.
4.*NOTES: *ANY* cake flavor can be used. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together others say they sift all dry ingredients together.
5.Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
6.You can use milk, juice, thawed fzn concentrates, soda pop (ie: Coke) cream or just about anything wet for the liquid.
7.This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
8.Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
9.On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
10.This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10″ sq OR 9×13 OR one 8″ & two 6″ round;OR two 8″rounds OR a 12″ round; and other combinations of pans.
11.I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
12.Some people have told me they use plain or flavored yogurt instead of sour cream.
13.Ive always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less maybe 3/4 cup not sure.
15.The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
16.1 part vanilla extract
17.1/2 part butter flavoring
18.1/4 part almond flavoring
20.A Part is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cupicon_smile.gif

I found this here on cake central last year and i use this for all of my cakes! it holds up great to carving and stacking and still very moist and tasty! I will sub out the sour cream for flavored yogurts depending on the type of cake i am making. The possibilities are endless with this simple recipe...

As far as icing are you wanting a recipe for icing or tips on icing lol? And what do you have in mind as far as decorating? I know there are some awesome tutorials on this site. I have learned so much just by looking at all the cakes and figuring out how i could do that technique on my own...good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!!!

nadineme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadineme Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much. If I had the time I would try this recipe for the family reunion my fiance are putting on this week......we leave tomorrow....and I'm cookin a turkey today and gettin all sorts of stuff ready....so it wi ll have to wait.

Re icing. I am wanting to be able to ice the cake in general weather it be cohcolate or vanilla and then use piping to decorate and maybe right on it. I have used a piping bag to make swiss merangues before so I am not a complete stranger to it...just not really experienced with it...lol. Maybe a wedding shower cake.....my son and his fiance are having a jack and jill shower on the 16th.......perhaps there will be time for that....lol

Once again.....thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBakingNurse

The *Original* WASC cake recipe
Ingredients

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*

Instructions
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. Its helpful to use a wire whisk; important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.

1.In mixer bowl place next 4 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
2.Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.
4.*NOTES: *ANY* cake flavor can be used. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together others say they sift all dry ingredients together.
5.Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
6.You can use milk, juice, thawed fzn concentrates, soda pop (ie: Coke) cream or just about anything wet for the liquid.
7.This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
8.Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
9.On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
10.This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10″ sq OR 9×13 OR one 8″ & two 6″ round;OR two 8″rounds OR a 12″ round; and other combinations of pans.
11.I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
12.Some people have told me they use plain or flavored yogurt instead of sour cream.
13.Ive always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less maybe 3/4 cup not sure.
15.The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
16.1 part vanilla extract
17.1/2 part butter flavoring
18.1/4 part almond flavoring
20.A Part is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cupicon_smile.gif

I found this here on cake central last year and i use this for all of my cakes! it holds up great to carving and stacking and still very moist and tasty! I will sub out the sour cream for flavored yogurts depending on the type of cake i am making. The possibilities are endless with this simple recipe...

As far as icing are you wanting a recipe for icing or tips on icing lol? And what do you have in mind as far as decorating? I know there are some awesome tutorials on this site. I have learned so much just by looking at all the cakes and figuring out how i could do that technique on my own...good luck and most of all HAVE FUN!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%