So Disappointed :(

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 5 Jul 2011 , 1:56pm by amygortoncakes

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 15

So I had this wonderful idea to make a cake for fourth of July just something for my little family. It was gonna be a six layer six inch round cake. covered in light blue fondant with gum paste lacy butterflies in red,white and blue. Needless to say I hard such a hard time getting the butter cream smooth when I did. Every time i tried to put the fondant on it ripped and teared. Doesn't help that it's like 95 degrees outside and inside it's 75 so not sure if it's the heat or what. I am just sad cause the butterflies actually came out really pretty. I am about to make cupcakes and put the butterflies as toppers for the cupcakes. Ran out of stuff to make more butter cream to smooth the cake once more after the fondant pulled some of the butter cream away. This makes me worried cause I have a baby shower cake to make for the end of this month. Maybe I should just make an excuse of not making the cake, it's for a friend icon_sad.gif

14 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 15

After putting the bc on the cake, did you put it in the fridge/freezer to firm up the bc? That will help. Commercial fondant will also help.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 15

Or you could chalk this up to experience and try again. The cake is for your family and the fondant won't cooperate? Give your cake a rustic buttercream coat http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1083223 and pop those butterflies on it. Your family isn't going to see failure, they're going to see a homemade and home decorated cake and love you for it. As for the shower cake, odds are its not going to be six layers and its not going to be only six inces, so it will probabley actually be easier to cover with fondant. And if its still so hot and humid--remember rustic buttercream (using indydebi's recipe) or rose swirls.

Don't just give up.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 15

The heat and humidity will definitely takes it toll on how the fondant goes one. I usually ganache my cakes. The ganache takes a little more time considering it has to set up before you spread it, but it gives nice clean edges and with stands the heat. I've never had a problem with ganache under fondant Good luck next time and keep trying!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 15

From my very limited experience covering cakes in fondant....I do know it is extremely hard (for me anyway) to cover a round cake that is on the tall side because you have all that extra fondant to smooth at the bottom of the cake and by the time I am done playing with it I do have rips and tears in it. Heat and humidity are not our friends!!

JessiesCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessiesCreations Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 15

Every cake is a learning experience, don't give up on the baby shower cake... With each cake you will get better especially working with Fondant takes practice. In the past, i always ran out of BC but now I make a lot, I rather have more leftover than end up running out when I'm close to being done. Just one of those things I had to learn. Good luck to you and don't give up...learn from it and move on to the next cake.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 15

So don't cover with fondant! I don't! Just smooth your buttercream and add your decor. I tried to cover my last years Uncle Sam hat with fondant and boy was that a big mistake. I just stuck with the smooth buttercream added the stars band and red stripes and it was great!.

Comerio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Comerio Posted 4 Jul 2011 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 15

Hi..

Maybe seal it with something other than BC.. maybe caramel or a fruit preserve.. icon_smile.gif

coloradoflower Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 12:52am
post #9 of 15

Leah_s I did leave the cake in the fridge over night so I made sure it was crusty.
cakeyouverymuch that cake is really pretty how would I go about getting that lovely texture with butter cream?

Thanks everyone for the advice, it just seems like here lately I am having no luck with cake.....sigh.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:08am
post #10 of 15

Roll the fondant thicker. I was having lots of fondant issues and figured out I was going too thin,

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:25am
post #11 of 15

Can you cover fondant imperfections with the butterflies?

coloradoflower Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:32am
post #12 of 15

At first I rolled it out using the blue guides that came with the Wilton rolling pin and it ripped then I rolled it thicker and the same thing happened.

I wish I could hid the imprefections but the rips and tears are too big. What gets me is always towards the end when it happens. No matter which side I start.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:02am
post #13 of 15

Some fondants tear more than others. So before you start to feel that you can't do it, try some other brands. You may find that you had the knack all along.

teresamariegross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresamariegross Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:37am
post #14 of 15

you could always use butter cream frosting and the paper towel method. When I do it that way it looks as good as fondant.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 15

I notice that I have to use more fondant than recommended to roll out pieces big enough and thick enough to cover my cakes with out having them tear etc.

Try using more fondant, and throw the mat out. I used to use it but I find that eyeballing it has worked well for me. Once you put the fondant on the top of the cake go slower. I used to think that I had to do it as fast as humanly possible or the fondant was going to dry out or something.

Good luck, we have all been there. I am sure your baby shower cake will turn out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%