Whipped Ganache Under Fondant

Decorating By Nazarine Updated 3 Jul 2011 , 2:46pm by Bluehue

Nazarine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nazarine Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 11:34am
post #1 of 4

I find tons of threads about ganache under fondant and I tried that a few weeks ago - YUMMY! Today, I am making a cake with WHIPPED chocolate ganache as a filling. Then I covered it with the rest of the whipped chocolate ganache. I will be covering the cake in fondant a little later. Anyone try this? I've read some advice where people swear you can't use whipped ganache under fondant but I didn't find a reason why! If anyone has advice, it would be much appreciated. If I have to scrape off this whipped chocolate ganache, I will. I don't have to cover it in fondant until this afternoon.

3 replies
robbemorka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbemorka Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 4

I do it all the time. There is no reason why it should not work.

CandyCU Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyCU Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 4

Perhaps it being whipped, it will have air incorporated into it, so there could be more chance of a possible blow out? I don't know for sure, I've always used straight, unwhipped ganache under my fondant.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 3 Jul 2011 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 4

Nazarine - oh yes - you can use "whipped" ganache under your fondant.

Some use a spatular or spoon to stir their ganache when making it - some use their mixer.
Depending how much i am making at any one time is how i mix the quanity.

Either way - i use it as a filling and as my base for under fondant.
In both cases i still alllow it to set up/firm up for at least 4 - 6 six hours before i cover in fondant.
If i have covered my cakes in it rather late in the day - then i allow them to set up/firm up over night.

By using a mixer to combine the cream and chocolate yes you are making it lighter and fluffier - but once it has settled in the bowl and had time to settle - there really isn't any differnce.

Main point to remember is using chocolate that has a high % of cocoa in it - that makes a world of difference to your final outcome when making ganache.

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%