Help With Making Flowers Please

Decorating By Zuicidal_Zeth Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 10:49am by Zuicidal_Zeth

Zuicidal_Zeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all, i read today in a book by Rosemary Wadey on how to make flowers, i had an attempt well had two attemps but i aint quite sure if they look right, i didnt have the required ingredients to make sugar paste which was advised in the book so i carried on trying it with left overs of fondant icing, i was wondering if you could possible have a look at them and give me your opinions and any suggestions on best icing to make/use and the best techniques for this, thank you for any comments, i just want to perfect them by the 16th of next month, all and any criticsm is most welcome, cheers. Rich

10 replies
Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 11

Youtube is your friend! You can find instruction you need on youtube!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 11

These look pretty good, but I agree the YouTube tutorials are the BEST! You can find lots of ways to make gum paste or fondant roses. Just type in "how to make a gum paste rose' in your search engine and see everything that pops up!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 11

This is a set of tutorials by Edna De La Cruz, this is how I learnt

She uses gumpaste. In the UK, you either have to make this yourself or you can buy the Wilton Powder Mix from Hobby Craft. What most UK cake decorators use is "Flower Paste", available online or at your local cake shop.

The main thing I'd suggest is cleaning up your edges. When you cut the petals out, press on it with your cutter and then rub the cutter against your surface (preferably a craft mat specifically for food). Rubbing it against the surface gets rid of the rough edges.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 11

You've got the idea, that's for sure! Good job. They need to be a little tighter in the middle to look more realistic. Your edges need to be a little more rounded and smoother. You'll be there in no time. Speaking of youtube, this is what I used to learn how to make roses:

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 11

thanks all for the links ive been searching youtube but getting stuck with what seem to be nonsense ones going by the comments, i never used a cutter or anything, the simply said to make an open cone ut of a pea size piece of paste, then basically use the same amount, overlapping as i went, this whole cutter thing does seem to look a whole lot less fiddly, also, can u make stems that look realistic, all the videos ive watched seem to be with wire, thanks for replys

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 5:41am
post #7 of 11

Watch this one for roses without cutters

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:22am
post #8 of 11

Rich, how are the roses coming along now? Did you end up getting any cutters?

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 8:43am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahBeth3

Rich, how are the roses coming along now? Did you end up getting any cutters?

sorry i havent replied, only just got the notification, i watched a lot of the videos giving to me on youtube and they were very handy, i made a few but have yet to try more, they did turn out better but because i didnt have sugar paste or a metal ball tool they still werent delicate enough, thanks for asking tho, ill get back in touch when i try more . Rich

karencuppycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karencuppycake Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:51am
post #10 of 11

I made a "no-cutter" gumpaste rose tutorial awhile back: http://karencuppycake.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-free-hand-gum-paste-rose.html
Hope it helps you icon_smile.gif

Zuicidal_Zeth Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 10:49am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karencuppycake

I made a "no-cutter" gumpaste rose tutorial awhile back: http://karencuppycake.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-to-free-hand-gum-paste-rose.html
Hope it helps you icon_smile.gif

thankyou karen, i think i might be going wrong with the amount of layers i dont have, i only seem to get to what you say is layer 6, and then seem to stop, ive got the start pretty much the same and i end up somewhere to where you are at layer 6, i just need to get them thinner for more realistic look, i seem to struggle though as i cant seem to steady my hands lol, my oldest wants flowers of some sort on her cake so ill try some again in the next week, i just need to go cake supplies and get some flowerpaste stuff, thanks again, ill go back to your blog for reminders icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%